VOGONS

First post, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Gateway with an OEM'd version of the Intel D815EEA motherboard. I want to update the BIOS but the problem is that the actual Gateway BIOS updates for this particular board are seemingly unobtainable, I've checked multiple sources and come up with absolutely nothing. However, I was able to find the Intel version of the BIOS very easily.

1. Can I flash the Intel version of the BIOS to this board? If so, how?

2. Is there some tool I can use to mod the BIOS to still have the Gateway logo?

Reply 1 of 9, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wouldn't do it unless you had access to the necessary hardware to externally write to the EEPROM chip, like a BusPirate or something. Or at least a spare vanilla EEPROM to swap in. The mobo would PROBABLY refuse to flash an incompatible firmware, PROBABLY, but if getting nitty gritty with EEPROMs is beyond you, I'd not try.

Reply 2 of 9, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, it's really not something I even want to try, but I spent like two hours trying to find any of the BIOS update files for this motherboard and came up with only broken links and sadness.

Reply 4 of 9, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cobra42898 wrote on 2020-01-18, 19:13:

what does this board need to do that it currently doesn't? why is a bios reflash necessary?

I suppose it isn't strictly necessary, but since I'm on BIOS revision P04 and it goes up to P08, I would assume the newer revision provides some benefit.

Reply 5 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is your motherboard on this list

https://web.archive.org/web/20021115164323/ht … efined&id=16571

If so then the file listed, 7511408.exe

BIOS update EA81510A.15A.0012.P09

Release Date: 12/5/2001

File Size: 654 KB

is available here

https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php … 7c0e152094928a7

Reply 7 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No problem - I just follwed the trail from this old thread

Gateway 4000622 a.k.a. Intel D815EEA

and once I knew I was looking for P09 I found forum links to the support list and then the filename / file from that.

Hope it works OK 😀

Reply 8 of 9, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, it works great. My CPU was working before but having the newest BIOS is always a good insurance policy for a CPU you aren't sure is supported.

Reply 9 of 9, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found one of these locally for 10 dollars "whole computer". Used the file PC hoarder linked to upgrade from P6 to P9 bios. Then removed the bios jumper to put the board in recoverymode and flashed it to official intel bios P10 in recovery mode. After that I was able to install the jumper back to normal and it booted right up with the intel BIOS. I then was able to flash it to the last supported official intel bios P11 normally without recovery mode as if it was a normal Intel board.

It nothing special but its not a bad board at all for 98se windows only gaming. Quite stable and reasonably fast. p9 is the last gateway version.

Thanks guys!