VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Someone gave me yesterday 3 packs of unused 3.5" floppy disks and I have no idea how old or new they are.
I have also saved some of my really old ones from around 1989-1993. I have heard that older floppies are much better quality than the newer ones and I probably would not want to mix bad quality ones with the old ones I have been using so far that have been working fine.

Does anyone know anything about quality/age of these floppies? They all seem to be made in England.

floppies.jpg
Filename
floppies.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 17, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Verbatum and Maxall are reputable brands but as always given the age expect some dudes.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 17, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. Back in late 80s and early 90s I was mostly buying 3M floppies. They were available where I lived and people were saying that they were decent, so I didn't really find out if other brands were good. Not that I know if these floppies are as old or if they are much newer ones.

Reply 3 of 17, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're welcome. I can understand that. I've used various brands over the years and at least for me anyway there hasn't been one brand that suck out as real bad. Other members might have different experiences of course no dought. Type of storage can have an affect I'd imagine.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 17, by astonsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hoarded many boxes of Verbatim disks in 2009 during a stock clearance. They have the same packaging as the ones in your picture, so I'd roughly age them about 10ish years old.

I opened a box for general uses (MS-DOS boot, XP SATA, W98 USB driver, etc) and none of the disks have any defects so far.

Reply 6 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-19, 09:15:

For unused floppys, the way they were stored over the last decades is much more important than their brand.

This! Both brands are decent but not sure about age. None of that matters if they were stored in a shed with extreme hot/cold cycles.

Forgot to grab a box of floppies from a nice cool server room end of last year 🙁 I was leaving it till last minute as they were better off where they were then in my house where others are doing their part in helping global warming happen sooner.

Reply 7 of 17, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have no idea how they were stored, but if they are as new as 2009, wouldn't that make them those bad quality later floppies?

I also got these 2 packs of unused 5.25" floppies recently. I didn't have any 5.25" floppies before that so I didn't think too much about the quality when I got them.
At least I know names verbatim and maxell from optical media and cassette tapes but these brands "Precision" and "ELW" are totally unknown to me. Probably some cheap brands, right?

floppies2.jpg
Filename
floppies2.jpg
File size
1.67 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 8 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I rescued these (and more!) from an old employer when they relocated in 1991 - on the rare occasions I open a new box I've yet to find a bad one, so I'm guessing a quality brand and proper storage are key (mine have been in storage drawers away from sunlight, moisture and temperature fluctuations).

floppies_1991.JPG
Filename
floppies_1991.JPG
File size
956.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 17, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've used Precision - Still have a opened but new box full of them, they all format without bad sectors.

I've got about 500 HD or so here, and I noticed that the ones made in the late 90s and early 2000s suck, no matter the brand. If you see a Staples branded one, just throw it at something, it will not have 0 bad sectors.

Sony,Verbatim, IBM, Dysan, Kodak, Maxell, those seem to hold up. Same goes for DD disks, mid 80s were the best for those. I think those are actually overall more stout as compared to HD.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 10 of 17, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote on 2020-01-20, 00:34:

At least I know names verbatim and maxell from optical media and cassette tapes but these brands "Precision" and "ELW" are totally unknown to me. Probably some cheap brands, right?

Precision was on the cheap side, true. Last year I got my hands on a large number of floppies from a friend, properly stored. To my surprise precision disks outlived many other brands in the pile. Especially the DD ones, not a single one of them had developed bad sectors. And those were heavily used disks that we used to copy, exchange and run games on PCs without a hard disk in the early 90s.

An interesting observation about Verbatim disks (both DD and HD):
These survived in great numbers

v1.png
Filename
v1.png
File size
94.09 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

These on the contrary, out of more than 30 disks none made it

v2.png
Filename
v2.png
File size
44.67 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 12 of 17, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since the box wasn't wrapped in clear plastic I did test one of those ELW disks in scandisk surface scan in dos 6.22 and no errors, so at least they are not all dead. When I checked them out I was positively surprised. They are orange in color and look really nice in my eyes.

Reply 14 of 17, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My experience has been mixed.

I have some floppy disks from the 1980's or early 90's that simply refuse to die. I've been using and abusing them for years and nothing ever happens to them.

I have others that are NOS never used, and are either DOA or fail within the first usage.

When I was a kid in the 2000's I used to buy Fujifilm Mac-formatted disks and format them in DOS. Some of those disks are still working but most have died.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 17 of 17, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote on 2020-01-22, 03:21:

Why would formatting make a difference? I don't see formatting doing anything different to a floppy disk compared to normal writing...

Does it? Seems like track 0's going bad after a format. The file table gets messed up and it can't be undone. Same as with CD-RWs.