VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Waiting for my Pentium to arrive, I noticed from the photos (and I read in the manual) that the small slot next to the floppy drive (you can see it from one of the photos) is used to house a PCMCIA reader.

I said to myself: intriguing! let's find out more ...

The computer manual talks about it in a very generic way without indicating what type of reader it is and what the connection bus is.

Doing various searches I found this page where a double PCMCIA reader on an ISA card is mentioned .... I started putting together various clues and looking at the open case of my computer I had already noticed that ISA slot opposite to the other slots and in that bizarre position ... could he be the right slot to host this card?

I attach some photos (both of my computer and of the card that I found on ebay) and the site that talks about the card.

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/9533/9533.html#486SLC2

The only doubt I have, is that it would seem too short to get from one side of my case to the other and it is made only for this IBM 9533, but I have not found other specimens of PCMCIA readers that can fit in my computer.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That quad card reader you got off of eBay is meant to be able to use 2 cards inside your computer and use 2 more cards through the back of your computer.

If you want something that will mount in that slot in the front of your case, you will need to find one that is specifically meant to mount in that slot.

Most of the ones I have seen use a 3.5" or 5.25" drive bay as those are not proprietary.

Then you have a single or dual 50-pin cable going from the bay to the ISA card.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, that quad slot card is not meant for that chassis. It is meant for the slimline chassis.

See here for information about that card and pictures to see what system that card was made for.
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/9533/9533.html#4Slot

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I was not able to find any information about a different card either. That one is way too short and the slots are not in the correct place to line up with the slot in the case either from what I could tell from the pictures.

My guess is that the case setup you have was meant to have an adapter like the one from eBay that I linked that has a separate card with the cables going to the PCMCIA slot assembly.

Or maybe they do use the same card but there was a cable or extender that went from the card to the slots that are supposed to mount in the front slot on the case.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK