VOGONS

First post, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

im trying to put a slocket ms6905 rev 2.3 in my qdi advance 5\133 motherboard, with os win98se ive tried 2 cpus a celeron with folowing characteristics
900/128/100/1.75
Q136A352-1132 SL5MQ

and a pentium 3
800EB/256/1.7v
L106A085-0284 SL4MB
mobo post with either cpu and appear corect the celeron as 100 fsd and the pentium with 133 fsd, but when on desktop errors complaining about registry is corupted popup asking for restart and this issue will continue (infinite loop) until i put the standar slot 1 katmai 500 cpu, the katmai is working ok. ive tried to reinstall windows 98se with slocket installed, but the same message is happent even during install. has anyone experience this issue?

Reply 2 of 9, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hello. the slocket is fully ajustable. i can leave the voltage setings either to default (vrm will provide the voltage by reading the vid signal from cpu) or manualy set 1.7 for pentium, 1.75 for celeron. i have tried both settings (default -manualy set) and have the same issues.

Reply 3 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The slocket is "adjustable", but the MS-6905 doesn't contain its own VRM, all the jumpers do is modify the VID pins from the CPU. It's still up to the motherboard to provide the correct voltage - so check what it's actually delivering.

Just googled on that board and found your earlier topic:
qdi advance 5/133

QDI is pretty notorious for bad caps, you already had issues before. Have you replaced the caps? If not, that's the prime suspect. The VRMs have to work harder with low voltages (so higher currents) than with higher voltages, so it's not surprising that the behaviour is better with an old Katmai than with the Coppermines.

Reply 4 of 9, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes that post is mine. ive replace all 1000mf caps and the 2 mosfets on the motherboard. now the board working wonderfull. ive aquire the slocket from ebay for 5 euros. but just now see something missing on the slocket i will post a photo. ive replace the electrolitic caps on the slocket because my slot has long tight brackets and damage the original ones and thats why i solder them like that. i can repair the bent smd cap but dont know the capacitance to replace the missing one

Attachments

• slocket.jpg
    Filename
    slocket.jpg
    File size
    659.67 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    bent capacitor-missing capacitor
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this the MS-6905 Master? If so I have one lying around somewhere, I'll try and look at what is in that position in mine.

Edit:
Not even sure there should be something there...

6905_23.jpg
Filename
6905_23.jpg
File size
13.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception