any use for broken hard drives?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 35, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote on 2020-01-25, 10:09:

I have removed magnets from few of them, but they make me feel sick for some reason. I only need to hold a magnet like that on my hand for 30 seconds and I start feeling really sick.
Really strange.

What wonderful implants you must have...

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21 of 35, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-01-26, 05:10:
Baoran wrote on 2020-01-25, 10:09:

I have removed magnets from few of them, but they make me feel sick for some reason. I only need to hold a magnet like that on my hand for 30 seconds and I start feeling really sick.
Really strange.

What wonderful implants you must have...

No implants as far as I can know, but could make it a neat trick of being able to tell if I am holding a magnet or non-magnet piece of metal on my hand without looking. The feeling I get when holding such hard drive magnet could be compared to motion sickness.

Reply 22 of 35, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote on 2020-01-26, 08:00:

No implants as far as I can know, but could make it a neat trick of being able to tell if I am holding a magnet or non-magnet piece of metal on my hand without looking. The feeling I get when holding such hard drive magnet could be compared to motion sickness.

In my town, they have put in service some hybrid and some full electric buses. When I was young, I have some motion sickness on every bus... but now I only got motion sickness on those electric buses. Maybe it's some kind of magnetic sickness like yours?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 23 of 35, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Baoran, Well, that can be classified as paranormal.
There are numerous offers for multiple millions of dollars, to prove anything paranormal at all.

I expect you to be a multi-millionaire, or if you didn't know about those offers, soon-to-be multi-millionaire. 😉

@Zup, electric busses accelerate with very much different acceleration curve. Probably not related to any electromagnetic fields...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 24 of 35, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-01-26, 14:07:
@Baoran, Well, that can be classified as paranormal. There are numerous offers for multiple millions of dollars, to prove anythi […]
Show full quote

There are numerous offers for multiple millions of dollars, to prove anything paranormal at all.

I expect you to be a multi-millionaire, or if you didn't know about those offers, soon-to-be multi-millionaire. 😉

@Zup, electric busses accelerate with very much different acceleration curve. Probably not related to any electromagnetic fields...

I doubt it is paranormal. There is iron in blood and there is a chance it affects electric signals in human body too, so I don't think it is strange someone could be more sensitive to magnetic fields like that. I doubt I am only one affected by magnets because it would be weird if I was the only one on the whole planet.

Reply 25 of 35, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote on 2020-01-26, 14:59:
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-01-26, 14:07:
@Baoran, Well, that can be classified as paranormal. There are numerous offers for multiple millions of dollars, to prove anythi […]
Show full quote

I doubt it is paranormal. There is iron in blood and there is a chance it affects electric signals in human body too, so I don't think it is strange someone could be more sensitive to magnetic fields like that. I doubt I am only one affected by magnets because it would be weird if I was the only one on the whole planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-yHv91Y_oI
Check it out. 😉

I still expect you to become millionaire. 😀 (if you are telling truth/truly sensitive to EM fields, because ordinary humans aren't)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 26 of 35, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm flirting my self with the idea of sacrificing some cheap clock to get the mechanism and attach it to the platter, something like these

hdd_clock.png
Filename
hdd_clock.png
File size
391.02 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27 of 35, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote on 2020-01-26, 08:00:

I'm sorry about the joke. It was unworthy. I'm still skeptical, though, about your claims. It's not impossible, but it would be a circumstance unknown to medical and physical science.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21638215

Maybe see if you can arrange and document a true double blind test? You'll know if your body is sensitive to magnetic fields and make a big contribution to science if your hypothesis is correct.

Reply 28 of 35, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I take the magnets and put them on shelf's supports anything made of metal with part of magnet exposed so I can move the screwdriver's steel shaft on it to re-magnetize since these lose magnetism with using tools for phones screws, these screws are small.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 29 of 35, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-01-26, 15:20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-yHv91Y_oI
Check it out. 😉

I still expect you to become millionaire. 😀 (if you are telling truth/truly sensitive to EM fields, because ordinary humans aren't)

Interesting video. Main thing for me is that when I removed hard drive magnets for the first time I didn't expect anything to happen. Like I never had anything like that happen to me when handling normal magnets like fridge magnets or a timer that can be attached to metal things because it has a magnet inside. I also never had problems holding hard drives themselves.

Edit: I just thought of another thing. Perhaps I am sensitive/allergic to the material itself that the hard drive magnets are made of.

Reply 30 of 35, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote on 2020-01-27, 00:50:

Edit: I just thought of another thing. Perhaps I am sensitive/allergic to the material itself that the hard drive magnets are made of.

Possibly. They're usually nickel plated. Do you get a rash, hives, itchiness, or any other allergy symptom at the point of contact after prolonged handling?

Reply 31 of 35, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Baoran, allergy to the actual specific material itself is way more plausible. 😀

Reply 32 of 35, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-01-27, 10:15:

@Baoran, allergy to the actual specific material itself is way more plausible. 😀

Could be but I can't do prolonged test to see if there would be rash or something because I would be throwing up after holding such hard drive magnet for a few minutes.

Reply 33 of 35, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the projects where someone uses an old HDD with a notch cut in the platter as a POV-based clock. I want to do that with a couple of mine.

I have a small box full that I use as PSU dummy loads.

I also use an old chunky 3.5" HDD as a tool to compress IDC connectors to make new floppy / IDE / SCSI cables. Sometimes completely, other times just enough to get them to say put while I trek out to the garage to finish them off in the vice.

Reply 34 of 35, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I swap out dead hardware for working at work where PC's are going to be recycled.
Certain jobs like to have the certificate that a machine has been disposed of properly either due to data or environmental reasons.
They get their bit of paper, I get something that I can use, everyone wins. Doesn't even have to really match (like swapping a IDE for a SATA drive)
No one really checks unless you have to specify working or not on the form.