VOGONS

First post, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I am just building a Pentium II machine with a MSI MS-6119 board (with Award BIOS) and I need to update the bios (cause of some flaws).
There are two different types of bios:
a) for mainboard with "CPU PLUG AND PLAY"
b) for "MSI Standard M/B"

... see: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MS6119

The board is labeled "MS6119 Ver. 1.1 BX2"

How can I identify the correct type of the board?

board.jpg
Filename
board.jpg
File size
122.89 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

TNX & regards
ildonaldo

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 1 of 20, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it have jumpers/dipswitches? I think I see them on this image, if so then it's not "CPU PLUG AND PLAY", so use the standard one.

Also, it has a nice socketed BIOS ROM, so even if you mis-flash, it's easy enough to fix.

Reply 2 of 20, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I had this exact motherboard some time ago, I just sold it on amibay last month.
It is an awesome motherboard! Congratulations 😀
I remember I wanted to put a 80Gb Hdd on it and I remember updating the BIOS with that version that says "Support IDE HDD size over 65GB"
So it would be "Version s2.a" if I remember correctly . It worked fine after that. Here is the last photo I took from it, I just booted it to make sure it was still working before the shipping:

ZUX1E2r.jpg

Reply 3 of 20, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2020-01-26, 23:32:

Does it have jumpers/dipswitches? I think I see them on this image, if so then it's not "CPU PLUG AND PLAY", so use the standard one.

Also, it has a nice socketed BIOS ROM, so even if you mis-flash, it's easy enough to fix.

My MS6119 rev 1.1 is a CPU PnP one, and it hasn't got the FSB/multi dipswitch between the AGP and IDE ports in the picture. So yes, hopefully that could be used to differentiate them. Remember reading something about 1.x boards being standard ones and 2.x ones being CPU PnP when trying to identify mine, but that's obviously not correct.

Might be worth adding that I had some problems with the AWDFlash version that came with the image when flashing the p2.9 BIOS. Had to fall back on AWDFlash 7.70 to get it done.

Also, congrats OP, it's a really nice board 😀

Reply 4 of 20, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes it should be the "CPU PLUG AND PLAY" version.
And thanks for the tip about AWDflash to kaputnik - I will try to update the bios.

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 5 of 20, by Apollonios

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys I'm looking for this motherboard the appropriate BIOS Flash Rom not the BIOS but the Rom. Now a good 20 years ago I accidentally played a wrong BIOS, the original Rom I no longer own, the currently used works but report an error message.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 20, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ildonaldo wrote on 2020-02-04, 19:51:

Yes it should be the "CPU PLUG AND PLAY" version.
And thanks for the tip about AWDflash to kaputnik - I will try to update the bios.

Hi,

I read through the thread and noted that your board is similar to the one I am contemplating to buy (v1.1 BX2). It has the similar S1 dip switch as yours. Please let me know if you were able to flash the MSI standard type BIOS successfully? Also how is the overall board performance and stability in Win 98? Appreciate your response. Thanks

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 7 of 20, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a board that exect marking and with the dip switches. It might however not be totally standard as it lacks some fan headers. (It is an original part of a Fujitsu pre built machine.) I upgraded the bios with the non PNP version and it went fine.

I wish I had the PNP version though so I could play with the CPU multipliers. I wonder what happens if I install the wrong bios.. I would maybe try it if I had a spare chip and programming tool.

Reply 8 of 20, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-11-08, 20:36:

I have a board that exect marking and with the dip switches. It might however not be totally standard as it lacks some fan headers. (It is an original part of a Fujitsu pre built machine.) I upgraded the bios with the non PNP version and it went fine.

I wish I had the PNP version though so I could play with the CPU multipliers. I wonder what happens if I install the wrong bios.. I would maybe try it if I had a spare chip and programming tool.

Thanks Joakim. How good is the quality and stability of this board? Any minor/major flaws you Noted? Thanks.

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 10 of 20, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-11-08, 20:36:

The CPUs are multiplier locked. The only difference with the PnP model is you can change the FSB in bios rather than with DIP switches.

I have the PnP model. If you flash it with the non-PnP bios (as I think I did originally) you just don't get FSB settings in the bios so could only adjust eg with SoftFSB

V4P895P3 VLB Motherboard AMD 486 133MHz
64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,
Realtek 8019 ethernet + XT-IDE bios ROM, ES1869 soundcard, VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428 1mb VGA

440bx MSI 6119, modified slocket , Tualitin Celeron 1.2Ghz 256mb SD-RAM, CF 4GB HDD, FX5200 gfx

Reply 11 of 20, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to an other thread here most of them are not locked. I seem to remember from other sources that at least the early ones were not.

Unlocking & downclocking a Pentium II?

Reply 12 of 20, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-11-09, 18:22:

According to an other thread here most of them are not locked. I seem to remember from other sources that at least the early ones were not.

Unlocking & downclocking a Pentium II?

Oops! Sorry, didnt spot you were talking about P2s and not P3s!
You can adjust the multiper in the BIOS of the PnP bios- its just on P3s it doesnt make any difference

V4P895P3 VLB Motherboard AMD 486 133MHz
64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,
Realtek 8019 ethernet + XT-IDE bios ROM, ES1869 soundcard, VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428 1mb VGA

440bx MSI 6119, modified slocket , Tualitin Celeron 1.2Ghz 256mb SD-RAM, CF 4GB HDD, FX5200 gfx

Reply 13 of 20, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So does this board 6119 rev 1.1 support down clocking a P2 for eg. 350Mhz (or at least the earlier P2s like <333mhz)?

Reply 14 of 20, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I watched this yesterday and he seems to be able to downclock this p3. https://youtu.be/dzeg5ooB1gg
(Now that read more into this I'm sure you are right and I won't clutter the thread about this discussion.)

stealthjoe wrote on 2021-11-09, 23:42:

So does this board 6119 rev 1.1 support down clocking a P2 for eg. 350Mhz (or at least the earlier P2s like <333mhz)?

I can test if I can downclock my 400 MHz p2 at some point.

I have a coppermine 1 GHz as well. Would I break something if I tried it on this board that does not officially support low voltages? 🤔

Reply 15 of 20, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stealthjoe wrote on 2021-11-09, 23:42:

My P2 Deschutes 4x100 did not react when I changed the multiplier on this board just now. The processor is probably locked. (I don't have any other ones to test.)

Reply 16 of 20, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The P2 processors produced before week 34, 1998 (<=333Mhz) were the ones probably unlocked.

Reply 18 of 20, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was feeling adventurous and installed the plug and play only bios on my seemingly non plug&play version ms6119. It actually worked... I could now set the fsb in bios. Tried 4x66 and it reads accordingly when I reboot. Maybe something wierd would happen if I actually put in a multiple unlocked CPU though.

Thing is however, that the latest bios for the plug and play version can't recognize hdds over 65 gig. It locked up during boot. I ended up removing the hdd and reinstall the latest non plug and play bios again.

Reply 19 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stealthjoe wrote on 2021-11-11, 09:50:

The P2 processors produced before week 34, 1998 (<=333Mhz) were the ones probably unlocked.

The same goes for P2 400MHz CPUs. For some reason I never saw an unlocked 350MHz but 400MHz definitely is unlocked in some cases.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!