VOGONS

First post, by FSOD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I picked up this machine and probably should have done a little more research. Pretty sure the original owner used an old 486 case or something and threw this socket 7 mobo in it. I knew the ps/2 port was blocked but I didn't think it would be this much of a problem using something that isnt a serial ball mouse. I've looked into ps/2-serial compatible optical mice and haven't been able to find anything. Ive also looked into getting a kvm or something but every thing ive seen on ebay looks like giant piece of trash. So my other idea was to just cut/dremel the case. The problem with that is the cut would be at different depths. the mobo sits kinda far back from the back of this case. Any ideas? There isnt any real issue with having an awkwardly cut hole in the back of the case right? Using a ball mouse is ok for now but I'd like to use an optical mouse.I guess I could try to find a new case but I dunno what I'd be looking for to fit this motherboard. The motherboard is a biostar m5atc btw. If any one has any suggestions let me know.

edit: ive also looked into those vetra converters but I read they arent that great and their sites checkout isnt secure...

here's some pics (i didn't take these)
https://imgur.com/a/LWTuh00

Reply 1 of 9, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that picture doesn't show anything. you can't tell anything by it. and i don't see a ps2 port i see a serail port with a ps2 adapter on it and it looks fine by the picture? is that what you are talking about?

Reply 2 of 9, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He's got one of the AT style motherboards that has a mini DIN for the mouse soldered on next to the keyboard DIN. Case is traditional AT style with no relief cut for mouse port

OP your best option will probably be transplanting the mobo into an ATX case and using a special IO shield

Reply 3 of 9, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you good at soldering? If I were you I would just solder a cable with a header to the other side of the motherboard. Then you can use a standard PS/2 backplane.

It should be a much cleaner job.

Reply 4 of 9, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks like a Biostar M5ATA motherboard and if so there is an extra 5 pin PS/2 connector sitting in the corner right next to the PS/2 housing. All you need then is a PS/2 bracket like this:
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MiniDIN-M … F/dp/B0002AFZV2

Reply 5 of 9, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't expect the average person to do this. But why not get a PS/2 to mini did header bracket. Then pull the wires out of the mini din connector. Solder on pins to the end of the wires. Insert the wires into the ps2 port then. Unscrew the ps/2 din from the bracket and mount it in that empty serial port.
Obviously this is what I would do. But I think a normal person isn't this good at modding.

Reply 6 of 9, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote on 2020-01-27, 06:15:

That looks like a Biostar M5ATA motherboard and if so there is an extra 5 pin PS/2 connector sitting in the corner right next to the PS/2 housing. All you need then is a PS/2 bracket like this:

I could not understand enough from the pictures to be certain, but if you're correct, this is the best advice in this thread so far.

Reply 7 of 9, by FSOD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2020-01-27, 06:15:

its a biostar M5ATC according to the printing on the motherboard. ill poke around in it tomorrow some time and see if I can find any ps/2 headers though. that would be great. I'll probably have to mod that bracket/cable though. I can't tell for sure but I think one of those wires is on the bottom row of that connector. Ive got a multi-meter and a soldering iron so it should be an easy fix.

edit: according to this manual i found its there like you said. i'll confirm it tomorrow. you might be a life saver man.
https://imgur.com/a/rR84paJ

RacoonRider wrote on 2020-01-27, 06:09:

Are you good at soldering? If I were you I would just solder a cable with a header to the other side of the motherboard. Then you can use a standard PS/2 backplane.

It should be a much cleaner job.

yea im ok at it. im not sure i fully understand but i could certainly look into that. thanks for the replies guys.

Warlord wrote on 2020-01-27, 06:15:

I wouldn't expect the average person to do this. But why not get a PS/2 to mini did header bracket. Then pull the wires out of the mini din connector. Solder on pins to the end of the wires. Insert the wires into the ps2 port then. Unscrew the ps/2 din from the bracket and mount it in that empty serial port.
Obviously this is what I would do. But I think a normal person isn't this good at modding.

i probably would have but the ps2 connecor is completely flat against the interior of the case.

Reply 8 of 9, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FSOD wrote on 2020-01-27, 07:10:

its a biostar M5ATC according to the printing on the motherboard. ill poke around in it tomorrow some time and see if I can find any ps/2 headers though. that would be great. I'll probably have to mod that bracket/cable though. I can't tell for sure but I think one of those wires is on the bottom row of that connector. Ive got a multi-meter and a soldering iron so it should be an easy fix.
edit: according to this manual i found its there like you said. i'll confirm it tomorrow. you might be a life saver man.

That is the same layout in the two boards.
Yes, aftermarket mouse brackets need some tlc. But you do not need to solder. The wires in those Dupont plugs are held in place by a tiny plastic flap which you can lift with a needle to release the wire. You will have to figure out the correct position of the wires - the colours are not standardized. And be very careful with plugging the bracket into your mobo, incorrect positioning can burn a wire - happened to me twice.

PS2mouse.jpg
Filename
PS2mouse.jpg
File size
26.63 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 9 of 9, by FSOD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey guys just wanted to give you a little update. got the ps/2 bracket in there working and all good to go. had to rewire the dupont plug thing and it was a little tight plugging it in... but got every thing working relatively painlessly. thanks alot guys. no more ball mice for me.