VOGONS

First post, by GrampaGotTheKeys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just curious but does anyone know what the function of the small white connector on CD rom cables are for?

I know you can connect them to soundcards, but I dont seem to lose any functionality with them disconnected.

Attachments

• cdromcable.png
    Filename
    cdromcable.png
    File size
    131.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both drives and cards had multiple kinds of connector (and in some cases pinout) to do exactly the same job. Before everything standardized on the four-pin three line flat connector (the black one in the pic) you saw cables with two or sometimes even three different connectors. You only need to hook up one.

Reply 3 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Early CD-ROM hardware was a wild west of standards, that connector was used by several CD-ROMs and sound cards instead of the general 4-pin pinout. Also be reminded that there are a couple different pinouts (LGGR vs LGRG) for that header as well.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 6, by GrampaGotTheKeys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah very helpful replies thank you!

I see people with cards that have both plugged in quite a lot, so I guess it can't do any harm?

Attachments

• ct4390.jpg
    Filename
    ct4390.jpg
    File size
    35.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 6, by GrampaGotTheKeys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-27, 16:15:
GrampaGotTheKeys wrote on 2020-01-27, 15:28:

so I guess it can't do any harm?

It can. Depending on the pin-out, you may end up with mono only when connecting both plugs. Just don't do it.

Oh snap, that explains some audio issues I was experiencing in the past, thought it was just a loose cable