VOGONS

First post, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Newbie question. After searching around I see allot of people flashing their bios to remove a logo. In my case I'm looking to upgrade my existing slot A, NEC motherboard that will not run a larger T-bird, to a K7M. My goal is to get that expected NEC splash screen on start up back on my bios, as I'm wanting to put the board in an NEC case. Anybody have some pointers on how to splice the two? I'm not a programmer, but do have a rom read/write thing.

Thanks in advance!
TW

Reply 2 of 2, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lolz, it will not work for many bios implementations as these generally have resource data in modules with specific configuration data headers, compressed in proprietary formats, and with logo data also in some bios propietary image format. So to change that data you need tools provided by the BIOS vendor. In this aspect, AWARD bioses are more mod friendlier because tools for many versions of the BIOS code have been leaked by chinese manufacturers and are widely available. Then you have AMI bioses, which are a win or a miss depending of the BIOS code version and the amount of personalized code implemented by the board manufacturer. Then you have Phoenix BIOSes and the rest of BIOS vendors (SystemSoft/Insyde, Microid, Toshiba, Compaq, etc) which generally are a miss with respect to modding capabilities. These BIOSes have their tools, source code and technical documentation very well controlled and them don't leak often if all, so there aren't many mod tools for them.