VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi !
I've got this FIC PA-2000 motherboad. I don't really have any questions about it, it's just that I've taken the time to retrieve the manual from there http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Fic/man … 2000/index.html ... but it's spilled across many .pdf files inside many .zip files and some pages are poorly scanned, some are better, and they're not oriented properly for the most part.

So, I took the time to take every page, put them in the right orientation and merge them into a single .pdf file, and now I just want to share it 😁
You can grab it here :

Filename
PA2000-MANUAL.zip
File size
4.6 MiB
Downloads
188 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I've also found this nice high res picture on the internet, so let's just make sure it won't get lost ^^ (I won't put a picture of mine because mine is in a rough shape, with damaged caps, damaged ICs and a missing BIOS).

pa2000.jpg
Filename
pa2000.jpg
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 13, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can someone tell me what the point is having 3.5 volt for the cpu socket.
I want to use a pentium 90 classic. If i use cpu-world as reference. Its telling me, that it need to have 3.3 volt for this processor..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It depends of the CPU revision as well. Here's the pentium 100 SX960 https://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SX/SX960.html asking 3.45V

Now this wasn't super useful as most CPUs indeed work fine at 3.3V. The AMD K5 was one of the only CPUs designed for 3.5V iirc.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 13, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote on 2022-12-08, 23:23:

It depends of the CPU revision as well. Here's the pentium 100 SX960 https://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SX/SX960.html asking 3.45V

Now this wasn't super useful as most CPUs indeed work fine at 3.3V. The AMD K5 was one of the only CPUs designed for 3.5V iirc.

I just want to take a moment to say thank you for taking the time to compile a proper usable manual for this. I saw the date on the OP and the date on the first reply and thought the forums glitched. There needs to be some acknowledgement when people go out of their way to do stuff like this... preferably not 3 years after the fact. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 13, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote on 2022-12-08, 23:23:

Strange thing to notice that the cpu volt goes up for a later one. I would have been expected that every new cpu due manufacturer procede would go down in cpu voltage as you see now day.

Is there anyone who can help me with an OEM Vobis (VBS) Highscreen) bios?

I powered up my board with 512KB installed. before it worked fine. Then starting up with the 512KB (knowing its not the culprit) Screen went on as normal, so cache should be no problem.

With the first boot already didnt saw the HIGHSCREEN screen (red letters and white / gray backgroud) as normal.. So i think the bios rom was already bit corrupted. Why this screen wasnt there.

At third boot i got a screen sync problem en screen went out.

After the next boot. Motherboard startup fine.. Then again not any signal anymore to my LCD screen.

Also tested some other PCI cards.. But board seems to be not giving any display anymore. Only hear the floppy drive is spinning up for check.

Reply 6 of 13, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
majestyk wrote on 2022-12-09, 09:06:

Here´s the original BIOS with HighScreen logo:
VBSPA2000.7z

Thank you very much.. Iam going to test it out..

I have put the Flash rom in my reader / writer and there are some not good behavior.. First check 3 faults, second check 6 fault.. So the memory of the flash was degrating.

Reply 7 of 13, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it worth to go for the older DIP32 Flash chips ? or better for replacement go for 32 PLCC with converter to DIP32 instead.

I dont know how the longivity is of these older types over the newer package ones? Can image that these older DIP32 versions resides a very long in a warehouse will maybe fail in about 5 - 10 years from now.

Reply 8 of 13, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VBSPA2000.7z

Is there anyone who can edit this bios for HDDs till about 32 GB support.?

Reply 9 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote on 2022-12-09, 01:27:

[...]

Strange thing to notice that the cpu volt goes up for a later one. I would have been expected that every new cpu due manufacturer procede would go down in cpu voltage as you see now day.

Not so strange: back then Intel's advantage in terms of fabrication processes was bigger than it is now. AMD was trying to beat Intel with the equivalent of a 2 or 3 year older process. That was also why the CPUs ran so hot.

Reply 10 of 13, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote on 2022-12-27, 23:56:

VBSPA2000.7z

Is there anyone who can edit this bios for HDDs till about 32 GB support.?

You can use ROM.by´s BIOS patcher (4.23) for that. It´s very easy to use.

Reply 11 of 13, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam guessing that this patcher program doesnt work in 64 bit windows versions? So i need a older system for it?

Can `t find the system specs on that site.

Reply 12 of 13, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found out that the board have an option for Internal keyboard and External keyboard.

From my point of view of it should there be a keyboard controller inside of the bios chip?

There seems to be also an empty large socket on the left lower side of the board.. Iam guessing that seems to be for an Keyboard controller bios chip..

If iam right..

External keyboard should be external keyboard controller driven situation.. And Internal keyboard should be maybe the controller of the keyboard inside the bios chip?

You only have to switch a resistor array between the isa slots and add a second one.. And set Jumper JX1 to 2-3 instead of 1-2 (which is base setting)

Can somebody maybe tell me if iam right or wrong that the keyboard controller is inside the SST PH29eee10 flash chip.. If not. Where could it be located on the board.

Floppy drive as harddrive are stuck when trying to boot.. System is hanging then.

Also think the I/O contoller chip National Semiconductor could be bad as well.

Can't be a coincidence that both suddenly don't work.

Reply 13 of 13, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The BIOS chip is not involved here.
Probably the super-I/O chip has a built in KB-controller, or it´s integrated in the VIA chipset (VT82C416). When there´s a different type of super-I/O on the board that does not have a built in KB-controller, or for other reasons, the 48-pin socket is used for a seperate ("externnal" to the super-I/O and chipset) keyboard controller.