VOGONS

First post, by Klench486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Everyone, I could use your help solving a problem I've never seen before.
I replaced the dead Sony CR2032 3V lithium coin cell battery on a ASUS PSB-S motherboard.
Here's the problem. Power supply and computer won't even start with the new battery. No fan spin. No nothing.
If I put back the old and depleted Sony CR2032 3V battery on the motherboard, the power supply and computer starts up and gives me the usual checksum error for a depleted battery .
Why is this motherboard only taking the old CMOS battery? I've tried a new sony and two other brands.
Connected to the mobo at this time is the Pentium II CPU, 2xsticks of RAM (that check out to 256MB Ram), and an ATI Rage 128 Pro Video Card.
The power supply is 650W and brand new. I did try TWO other power supplies before using a new one.

Thoughts?
Paul

Reply 1 of 8, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had issues with a PC not long ago over these batteries. Long story short, I'll never buy another dollar-store 2032 for a PC ever again.

Is the replacement a top shelf brand?

What are you getting for voltage/amperage out of them?

Silly question, but + side up, just like the original should have been?

No bulging caps I hope?

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 2 of 8, by Klench486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Appreciate the response. I have two brand new Sony CR2032 3V lithium indonesia stamped batteries. Yes, + is on the top. Multimeter says 2.83V. Old battery is .22V . Original battery is stamped Sony CR2032 3 Volts Lithium Battery A. No bulging caps that I can see anywhere/no leakage so that's good. It's just weird why this board won't take another Sony CR2032 battery or any other 2032 3V.

Reply 5 of 8, by Klench486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll test later today. I want to say the PSU won't even turn on...no PSU fan activation and consequently no motherboard firing up the video or keyboard lighting up. today I'm going to go to the store and by another sony CR2032 battery because I was reading that sometimes there are fakes being sold on amazon. Amazon is where I got the last 2xnew batteries. Long shot, but I'm trying to rule out the new CR2032 as an issue.

Reply 6 of 8, by Klench486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Everyone, you were right about the quality of the batteries. So I put in a brand new Energizer CR2032 3V. Computer and PSU fired up. No issue with CMOS memory or checksum. So, I've go to wonder about those Sony CR2032's with an indonesia stamp on them I got from Amazon. What I'm suggesting is I'm wondering if they are of low quality, a fake or something else. Just seems interesting that getting the high-quality energizer works. If you do some internet searches, there is some reporting of possible sony CR2032 knock-offs floating around.
Thanks again.

Reply 7 of 8, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Posting for reference anyway as you fixed it a minute before I posted: 2.83V is too low for a new battery, new ones tend to be around 3.3V (I just measured one from a pack I started using, though not Sony-branded), they are rated for 3V after all.