VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did some quick testing with 3DMark2000.

I assumed extra bandwith of Dual channel would be useful if you run DDR in asynchronous mode, slower than your CPU. So I made three runs with the exact same 512Mb sticks configured as DDR333 Single/Dual channel and DDR400 single channel. Turns out, I was wrong. It should not matter for games.

DDR333 Single: 13020 marks
DDR333 Dual: 13060 marks
DDR400 Single: 14086 marks.

Reply 21 of 22, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That confirms the reviewer's impressions and explanations is correct when I read about these on their websites.

Socket 462 cpu is limited at bus bandwidth to northbridge, but dual channel mode only benefits the *onboard* integrated video in the northbridge chipset when running in dual channel mode. That's all. If you have a discrete video card. This will also will not benefit either with 462 socket boards (any). But dual channel is useful on later chipsets like 989, 754 and later and intel took use of this as well with P4 motherboard and later.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 22 of 22, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I assumed extra bandwith of Dual channel would be useful if you run DDR in asynchronous mode

Nforce 2 chipset is not optimized for async mode, so it doesn't really matter if dual channel can fully saturate FSB bandwidth.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.