VOGONS

First post, by Scotty42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
presently facing a riddle I could not solve by myself so far. Relevant part of my setup: SB AWE64 IDE interface (active, configured), ISA 386 mobo, several brands of CDROM drives.
I successfully run a 8x CDROM Mitsumi CRMC-FX810T4 as slave on the AWE using either of vide-, XDVD2, or UDVD2. Does not matter which one I use. All do in fact work. Unfortunately the drive does not read burned CDs, I tried different speeds and coatings already.

So I tried to swap drives to the mentioned modern (well kind of, it is in fact from 2004) DVD ROM GDR-8163. It is likewise jumpered to slave mode. And I know its IDE interface is functional as I am able to access the drive if I plug in an USB<>IDE adapter and hook it to a modern PC.

Coming back to the problem: neither of the drivers mentioned will detect the drive. If IDE interface is working and other CDROMs are accessible in my setup via ATAPI protocol and given the drive is also accessible from modern PCs via USB adapter, why is it not detected from DOS?

I'd appreciate any ideas and helpful hints.

best regards

Did further experiments but I did not come to a real conclusion so far. A 40x Mitsumi CR-4809TE works flawlessly and as it is a CDRW it also reads burned CDs. So does a Toshiba SD-M1912.