VOGONS

First post, by thevdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I have a Dell Latitude XP (486) and an XPi CD (Pentium 1) laptop, they both seem to have the same issue with the keyboards where some keys work and some don't. Testing with a multimeter I can see that some of the connections on the flat flex cable have gone bad. If this was copper clad flat flex it might be possible to seperate the plastic layers and use solder bridges to repair the wires. These keyboards have black conductors, possibly graphite, I'm not sure.

Is there a solution to repairing these conductors so the keyboards can work again?

I would be tempted to source a replacement keybaord for them, but seeing as both laptops I have from that line have the same problem I would imagine that a 20 odd year old replacement part would either have the same issue or it would develop the issue over time.

Gaming rig: Dell Dimension XPS T500 - PIII 500 - 288MB RAM - Voodoo3 3000 - SoundBlaster Live! Value - DVD-ROM - CD-RW - 3.5" 1.44 - 98SE & 2000 dual boot
A nostalgic pile of laptops from the late 80's to late 90s.

Reply 1 of 2, by thevdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: I tried cleaning the contact on the ribon cable on an offchance, the XPi CD keyboard is now working perfectly fine, unfortunately this didn't work for the Latitude XP.

The Latitude XP actually has a slightly different issue, all the keys work but some keys type multiple letters, such as typing "t" results in "ty". The laptop also shows a "keyboard controller error" on boot, so it may be time to strip it down and check for any corrosion on the board.

Gaming rig: Dell Dimension XPS T500 - PIII 500 - 288MB RAM - Voodoo3 3000 - SoundBlaster Live! Value - DVD-ROM - CD-RW - 3.5" 1.44 - 98SE & 2000 dual boot
A nostalgic pile of laptops from the late 80's to late 90s.