Pci cards roundup on dos

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2022-09-05, 15:53:
Hello good people! I redid the roundup, added the fastdoom results and pc player bench 640 has been run with LFB. PC: k6-3+ 550, […]
Show full quote

Hello good people!
I redid the roundup, added the fastdoom results and pc player bench 640 has been run with LFB.
PC: k6-3+ 550, aopen ax59 pro, 128mb memory, tightest timings.
I did choose this configuration because I wanted to find the video cards limit.
All the virge models have been tested at 85 mhz, they were overal stable except the GX which showed 1-2 pixel flashing on quake.
Cirrus Logic CL-GD5446 have been tested at the stock freq (80 mhz and 85 mhz).
Since from last time I collected a couple of new cards (ET 6100 and OPTI), they were not present in the older version.

All the quirks are almost the same as last time:
Sis 6202 had troubles running benchmarks at 640 with 2mb of memory, banding and screen corruption, it doesn't happen when 1mb is installed and try different chips didn't change the result.

Matrox cards, older bios are more compatible (the Mystique with bios version 1.2 gives a bit higher results and works on Chris 3D 640, while it doesn't if updated to bios version 1.8, unlucky I haven't been able to find any other bios release.), still black screen on Chris 3D 640

Trident 3DImàge 9750 has screen corruption on PC Player 640 on the higher and lower border if benchmarked WITHOUT LFB, everything is ok with LFB.

For doom I have chosen to use the tick value instead of fps, so lower values means higher performance.

photo_2022-09-05_17-52-42.jpg

Thank you for running these benchmarks and sharing the results. I appreciate the way you organized the spreadsheet by chipset year. If you ever get a chance, it would be neat to see a TNT2 M64 or some other late 90s Nvidia compared to these. They are widely considered one of the fastest chipsets for DOS, which I'm sure you are well aware.

Cheers!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 21 of 24, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2022-09-08, 00:40:

Thank you for running these benchmarks and sharing the results. I appreciate the way you organized the spreadsheet by chipset year. If you ever get a chance, it would be neat to see a TNT2 M64 or some other late 90s Nvidia compared to these. They are widely considered one of the fastest chipsets for DOS, which I'm sure you are well aware.

Cheers!
[/quote]

Unlucky I do not have a TNT2 M64 pci, only the agp version.

Reply 22 of 24, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2022-09-08, 01:41:
clueless1 wrote on 2022-09-08, 00:40:

Cheers!

Unlucky I do not have a TNT2 M64 pci, only the agp version.
[/quote]

I have a Riva 128 PCI and a M64 PCI, when I get around to digging out the SS7 I can throw some results up here, also have a Savage 4 PCI and a Radeon 7000 PCI which while a bit newer both work really well under DOS. Got both the Ark 1000PV and 2000PV, which IIRC were quite amazing DOS based cards for the time, not sure what changed between the MT and PV models so will be interesting to see if performance changed.

I may have a rather large collection of PCI cards here ... so I may just go through them all under DOS and put the results up here for information purposes, which ones work well, which ones dont and which ones are stand outs.

Work and time permitting naturally, work has been kicking my ass of late so it might be a small while before I get to this.

Reply 23 of 24, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-09-08, 01:55:

I have a Riva 128 PCI and a M64 PCI, when I get around to digging out the SS7 I can throw some results up here, also have a Savage 4 PCI and a Radeon 7000 PCI which while a bit newer both work really well under DOS. Got both the Ark 1000PV and 2000PV, which IIRC were quite amazing DOS based cards for the time, not sure what changed between the MT and PV models so will be interesting to see if performance changed.

I may have a rather large collection of PCI cards here ... so I may just go through them all under DOS and put the results up here for information purposes, which ones work well, which ones dont and which ones are stand outs.

Work and time permitting naturally, work has been kicking my ass of late so it might be a small while before I get to this.

Those would be very interesting.
I'm looking forward to see the results, in the first round up I tested also newer cards like the v3, the banshee and geforce 5500 pci but I didn't this time, those cards are used on windows build and more than speed I'd be worried about compatibility.
According to VGA LEGACY MKIII the difference between PV and MT is just "video acceleration", but it would be interesting to see if there is also any performance (and clock) difference.

Reply 24 of 24, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Banshee is a really great DOS gaming card, since its as good as a Voodoo1 for dos 3DFX stuff and has a super nice Vesa implementation that is highly compatible, for Windows Glide games it suffers due to the missing second TMU so its really good for Win95 stuff but not for later games that rely heavily on multitexturing (Quake3 based games suffer badly on Banshee).

Its one of them odd cards that isn't that great for when it was originally released for but move it back a year and it would have been truly amazing.