VOGONS

First post, by kohellus@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

I got this motherboard Zida 5VDX. It had a cpu amd k5pr100 on it and i think that the board was from some pre built setup, like whole pc from a store. Like some hp or dell complete setups but some noname. The manual says it supports cyrix, amd, pentium upto mmx but those uses different voltages and its setup for 3.5v for amd.

What i was thinking like the manual say to just set jumper7 to open position and its 2.8v. The J7 cluster has 4 presoldered pads to closed position and a spot to another volt regulator that is empty ofcourse. That got me thinking if its a cheaper made mobo just for that build with amd setup and not ment to be changed.

If anyone has any experience with similar mobos or the zida. I have 200mmx for it, max it supports but i dont want to run it with higher voltage. I tested it with 166mmx and 3.5v and it did post but got quite hot 😀 The manual is here https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/Z/Z … X-VER-1-30.html

Heres pics of it. The J7 pic is bad but theres the 4 wires soldered on the mobo and the other pic has that heatsink for the voltage regulator and beneath it is an open place for another. I dont know if that regulator would do both voltages and the empty spot is for another revision or it needs the both regulators to do both voltages. Also got s3 trio virge and voodoo2 cards for it. Still thinking about what to use for sound, have 5.1 live card but i think its overkill.

Thanks in Advance - Kohellus

Attachments

• mobo2.JPG
    Filename
    mobo2.JPG
    File size
    1.11 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • mobo1.JPG
    Filename
    mobo1.JPG
    File size
    1.92 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you need that other regulator for dual volt cpu's like MMX and K6. You should be able to remove the wires and add the jumpers, am sure one of the settings would be for 3.3 and also 3.45v. Or get a K5 PR166 as it also runs 3.5v. The regular Intel P5-166 and P5-200 non-mmx uses 3.3v with a max of 3.6v so it might be OK at 3.52v but is not the ideal long term voltage for them (3.45 would be better). Have seen P5-200 non-mmx go for about $15 with shipping. Added: Look for s.spec SY045
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SY/SY045.html

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 2, by kohellus@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the answer. I thought that too that you need 2 regulators for 2 different voltages but i searched the regulator that is in there (D45H2A) and its not a normal regulator as far as i know electronics 😀 its switching, regulating pnp transistor power amplifier. So i searched more and found 20+ years old post about a similar problem. He wanted to use mmx in a mobo that has places for all the parts needed for the voltages but no parts soldered, he wanted to know where to buy the parts and listed them and my D45 is the first part, second to create dual voltages is LP2951ACM (adjustable voltage regulator) for that era and my Zida has that one too so i will find my multimeter somewhere and test the voltages before and after i cut the jumpers. Lets see what happens, iam good at making smoke machines 😀