VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently was able to get my hands on an old Gateway 2000 tower from mid-1997, a Gateway G5-200 with a Pentium 200MHz (P54C), 128MB of RAM, a 3.2GB Quantum Fireball, a 2MB S3 Virge PCI card, an Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1370, the modem that came with it, and a D-Link NIC card (what it had in it when I got it).

It was quite clean on the inside, though had a massive amount of scuffs and dirt on the outside that I removed with a combination of disinfectant wipes and a magic eraser. I took it completely apart, cleaned all of the outside and inside parts, including the power supply, and put it back together slightly differently than it came (Virge PCI in the 1st PCI slot instead of the second, that sort of thing). The first thing I noticed was that the original hard drive was dead, and made spinning up and slowing down sounds that were honestly quite awful, so the spindle motor had likely gone bad at some point. I replaced it with a Seagate 4.3GB HDD, and so far it seems to be doing okay with that replacement. I also replaced the CMOS battery, which oddly enough, while being 3V, was noticeably larger than a normal 3V CMOS battery, but with the smaller (normal) Energizer one I put in there, it seems to work fine. Once I had gotten through with all that, I downgraded it to 32MB of RAM that I pulled from the P200 MMX machine, and started trying to work with it.

The first few things that went wrong related to me not putting it back together quite right, but some red flags I've noticed are that when the Virge is in the first PCI slot, it will sometimes work, and sometimes display garbled video or the system won't POST at all. I had seen similar cards have bad capacitors on them, so I decided to try and replace it with a Trident ProVidia 9685 I had lying around. With any other PCI video card than the Virge (I also tested with a Trident TGUI9440-3), the system will either refuse to POST at all, or will just beep a video error and continue POSTing, just with no video output (I can hear the RAM counting, there is a floppy seek, etc.). This is when I insert them into any of the PCI slots.

However, with the Virge in the second PCI slot (the way it came), it works just fine. It occasionally will not POST, but that stopped after a little bit ago. Every time I turn it on, it POSTs and goes to Windows just fine. My immediate thoughts are a bad PSU (though when I opened it up everything looked fine), or bad capacitors on the motherboard (though they all look fine, and there is also a distinct lack of electrolytic capacitors on this motherboard, the only ones that are there are concentrated in the upper right corner of the mobo).

I don't know if these issues will return again, as so far, they seem to have stopped. Right now I have removed the D-Link card, and replaced the Ensoniq PCI card with a Vibra 16C. I took out the 32MB of RAM and put it back in the P200MMX, and it now has 64MB of RAM until I can get another 32MB stick.

On the bright side, I find this system very interesting, with the odd case design as well as the animated BIOS logo (the Gateway 2000 logo fades into place and the text "You've got a friend in the business." appears from left to right under the logo). Pretty fancy for 1997 if you ask me. This system also came with a Conner tape backup drive, which is fairly fancy as well. If I can get this system to be stable for the most part, it'll be a pretty cool Win95 system.

Pictures:

20200204_001608.jpg
Filename
20200204_001608.jpg
File size
526.17 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20200204_001654.jpg
Filename
20200204_001654.jpg
File size
522.14 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20200204_001845.jpg
Filename
20200204_001845.jpg
File size
601.78 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20200204_002026.jpg
Filename
20200204_002026.jpg
File size
441.78 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Where am I?

Reply 1 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait...does this system have P54C or P55C?

At the top of the post you refer to it as P54C, but at the bottom you mention P200MMX.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not the biggest fan of the design of the faceplate but it is very late 90's. Hiding the floppy behind a labia as someone called it here.
I preferred the next GP6 design which is actaully the same case just with a different front, you can check it out in this random vid I'll also need to watch when at home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX9Bm1Z5RKc

On the other hand the GP6 POST screen was more boring with just a big Gateway logo and progress bar below. Not that it matters I always prefer seeing the post messages over corporate branding of any machine
Looks like your lucky you still had the door covering the drive bays, that looks to be missing on most pic's online.

Do you have any plans for the PC? If the problems have gone away I'd just go with the Virge in slot 2 and pretend all is fine in the world if I could get away with it 😉

Reply 3 of 7, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-02-04, 08:43:

At the top of the post you refer to it as P54C, but at the bottom you mention P200MMX.

To me it reads like he has another PC with a P55C that he swapped the RAM with while the Gateway 2000 G5-2000 this thread is focussed on has a P54C 200MHz non-MMX CPU.

Reply 4 of 7, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-02-04, 10:37:
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-02-04, 08:43:

To me it reads like he has another PC with a P55C that he swapped the RAM with while the Gateway 2000 G5-2000 this thread is focussed on has a P54C 200MHz non-MMX CPU.

That's spot-on. The P55C is the itty bitty tower to the far right. This system has the non-MMX CPU, but what's funny is that the non-MMX uses a heat spreader, while the MMX is ceramic. In this case, the older CPU has more modern (and better, if you ask me) physical features.

chinny22 wrote on 2020-02-04, 10:01:
Not the biggest fan of the design of the faceplate but it is very late 90's. Hiding the floppy behind a labia as someone called […]
Show full quote

Not the biggest fan of the design of the faceplate but it is very late 90's. Hiding the floppy behind a labia as someone called it here.
I preferred the next GP6 design which is actaully the same case just with a different front, you can check it out in this random vid I'll also need to watch when at home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX9Bm1Z5RKc

On the other hand the GP6 POST screen was more boring with just a big Gateway logo and progress bar below. Not that it matters I always prefer seeing the post messages over corporate branding of any machine
Looks like your lucky you still had the door covering the drive bays, that looks to be missing on most pic's online.

Do you have any plans for the PC? If the problems have gone away I'd just go with the Virge in slot 2 and pretend all is fine in the world if I could get away with it 😉

Meh, I like the design of it. It gives off a "luxury," computer feel, if you will. I've not had many vintage computers make me feel like I have the plastic beige equivalent of a Chrysler sitting in my room. I'm not sure why I get that vibe, but it makes it interesting to me. As far as hiding the floppy drive goes, I have another case that does the same. It doesn't bother me all that much, though I do find that comparison humorous.

I will usually turn off BIOS logos, but in this case I like the fancy animated parts enough to keep it the way it is. It adds to that feel that the PC seems to be going for. I'm glad it has that door to it, otherwise it would drive me absolutely bonkers. The person who bought it originally took decent care of it, seeing as they paid ~$2,000 for it when it was new. I am the second owner of this PC, it's quite interesting to know that much about the history of a specific computer.

I'm still not sure about what I'm going to do with it. I already have a DOS gaming build with the P200MMX machine, and I'm hesitant to put my ESS card and/or take any parts from that one and put it into this one with how dodgy it's been. I may or may not impart some more restorative work on this machine, I've given the plastic bits of a garbage, nasty, yellowed case I always planned to test any "retrobriting," on to somebody who knows how to spray paint to paint them white, and see how that turns out. If it looks good, I'll probably do that to all of the more yellowed cases I have, including this system. If it turns out bad, well, I probably won't mess with it, but I've seen paint jobs look very good with vintage PC's online, so I was willing to risk the less valuable case to see if I could do something like that to this Gateway as well later on.

Where am I?

Reply 5 of 7, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE:

I found a strange stick of what appeared to be EDO chips on a PC-66 RAM stick a while back, and it happens to be 32MB. I put it in the Gateway, and lo and behold, it works, and says that the RAM is in "EDO Mode".

My question is, is this any slower than normal PC-66 SDRAM (or at least, noticeably slower)? I'm certain that the computer wouldn't have come with RAM like this, but I don't have any other 32MB sticks and the only other one is in my P200MMX machine, which I want to keep the same as it has been.

Where am I?

Reply 6 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

noticeably slower would depend on what you run. Benchmarks you may see a difference actual game play. maybe/maybe not. Give it a go you've nothing to loose!

set it up for a bit of network gaming? Even if its just with yourself can be fun, or run doom in 3 screen mode

Reply 7 of 7, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-02-10, 13:50:

noticeably slower would depend on what you run. Benchmarks you may see a difference actual game play. maybe/maybe not. Give it a go you've nothing to loose!

set it up for a bit of network gaming? Even if its just with yourself can be fun, or run doom in 3 screen mode

A lot has changed since last post. I put a 3COM ISA Ethernet card in there, I've got a different 5.1GB HDD in there, and I now have 32MB of SDRAM rather than EDO stuff. I also have the ESS 1869f in there now, so it's more suited to DOS gaming.

I actually do have it hooked up to what was once my P200 MMX machine, but is now a K6-2 266MHz. I can play Quake in a LAN between the two, and also file share.

Where am I?