VOGONS

Reply 60 of 67, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2020-04-13, 10:03:

No test results because the P54SP4 is completely dead, nothing I've been able to do even gets it starting to POST. Ruled out BIOS (flashed on known-good chip), power delivery, bent chipset pins, bad cache etc. I'm afraid I've given up on it :'(

That's really unfortunate, but curiously, I have also received a P54SP4 that was DOA and couldn't be revived. When I asked the seller what the history of the board was, he didn't reply.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 61 of 67, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So which chipset do you think will provide the best reliable performance for an Intel Pentium 75 and 233 ?

Attachments

Reply 62 of 67, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TX chipset, much newer and most complete support of newer PCI cards. Easier to get SDRAM over EDO.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 63 of 67, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-04-13, 18:13:

TX chipset, much newer and most complete support of newer PCI cards. Easier to get SDRAM over EDO.

Cheers,

Well, I mean for a DOS gaming computer which only needs 16mb of ram, PCI video card and the fastest bus speed
For a 1st gen Pentium.

Which chipset would be the lowest you would go with for ideal performance ?
Baring you could choose any chipset.

Reply 64 of 67, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-04-13, 18:22:
Well, I mean for a DOS gaming computer which only needs 16mb of ram, PCI video card and the fastest bus speed For a 1st gen Pent […]
Show full quote
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-04-13, 18:13:

Cheers,

Well, I mean for a DOS gaming computer which only needs 16mb of ram, PCI video card and the fastest bus speed
For a 1st gen Pentium.

Which chipset would be the lowest you would go with for ideal performance ?
Baring you could choose any chipset.

430HX assuming you don't care about the UDMA/33 included with PIIX4 southbridge on 430TX.

Reply 65 of 67, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Exactly. TX. I have HX on a well known ATX Micronics board but the bios probably too old, I don't have funds to get another board HX or SIS ATX by Asus, as well but it will not support not all PCI cards despite the 2.1 revision, TX was the one that got this working right.

I'm planning to play with 32MB if forced to get 16mb sdram, then I will. Also i preferred ATX boards so I can reuse easily found cases rather than the baby AT boxes.

I also have two boards: baby AT socket 5 with SiS chipset, and cached 386 based on SiS baby AT but no case for either, I do have baby AT PSU.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 66 of 67, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-04-13, 15:14:

So which chipset do you think will provide the best reliable performance for an Intel Pentium 75 and 233 ?

This is completely offtopic here. If you really need help, open your own topic.

Reply 67 of 67, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think, better was to go with Pentium 75 after Oct 1994, anyway. Reason was more mature platform socket 5, 3.3 v instead 5.15v, potential better overclock and later upgrade to Pentium 120. It was expectable, that 66 fsb , memory and L2 cache, will make huger impact in some cases, than 50 fsb, but higher clock. 50 to 66 is 33% increase. I would opted for Pentium 75 and socket 5 anyway in that time. Compatibility and future proofness would mean more to me, than 10% speed differance.

Anyway, nice comparsion nd tests, was curious how it end up, was expecting it.