VOGONS

Estimation of an old computer (Commodore CBM 720)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by backup_boy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good morning everyone,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this request but I'm looking for an estimate for an old computer.
It's a Commodore CBM 720.
It is new, boxed, rare and perfectly functional.

In advance, many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0442.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0442.jpeg
    File size
    568.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0440.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0440.jpeg
    File size
    766.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0439.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0439.jpeg
    File size
    1.39 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0438.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0438.jpeg
    File size
    563.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0435.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0435.jpeg
    File size
    633.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 12, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It isn't new if it has been opened and powered on / tested -- that would be considered used. New would be sealed in the box with original tape still applied.

Price varies wildly, and it all depends if someone really wants to put up the money for it. I've seen them sell between $250 to $1200. Since the box has been opened, it would likely fetch considerably less than the top dollar amount.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 3 of 12, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-02-08, 11:04:

It isn't new if it has been opened and powered on / tested -- that would be considered used. New would be sealed in the box with original tape still applied.

Price varies wildly, and it all depends if someone really wants to put up the money for it. I've seen them sell between $250 to $1200. Since the box has been opened, it would likely fetch considerably less than the top dollar amount.

Perhaps it is a UK thing but often something that is like this (Never used but the box is opened for testing/checking contents) would be sold "as new".

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 4 of 12, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-02-08, 11:09:
wiretap wrote on 2020-02-08, 11:04:

Perhaps it is a UK thing but often something that is like this (Never used but the box is opened for testing/checking contents) would be sold "as new".

Must be.. because opening something means anything could have been done to it -- i.e. internal parts swapped, 1st power up can damage it if tantalums/electrolytics blow, etc. I would still 100% consider it used.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 5 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Of course it's used. You can't prove that it hasn't been used for hundreds and hundreds of hours and was just kept very clean. So you can't sell it as new. It's apparently in excellent condition (isn't that enough of a selling point?), but not new.

Apart from that, how often should we believe that people bought expensive computers back then just to never use them..?

ps: you can clearly see small signs of wear here and there in the 3rd picture.

Reply 6 of 12, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's worth whatever someone wants to pay for it. Realistically, what you can get for it depends on a lot of variables. If for example you offer it on ebay and you want to ship it abroad, then you might get (much) more compared to when offered in a local classified ad with pick up only, but you will also have to pay tremendous amounts of transaction fees and deal with the Paypal claim risk for 6 months. Either way it's certainly worth something in this condition. Good luck!

Reply 7 of 12, by backup_boy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everybody, many thanks for our replies.
I understand what you're saying about new and used. I know I'm the one who opened the crate seven years ago for the first time. There's no dust or wear and tear. So I'll see what I can do with it because I want to sell it. Thank you all and have a nice day.

Reply 9 of 12, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't like people who sell used things as new.

if this has never been used and just taken out of the box to check on and has been taken out and tested, and is being stated as such then that is no problem imho, as long as everyone knows, it is for all intends and purposes still new.
(technically it isn't new anyways, since it is several decades old)

I'd rather have something that has been tested to work and provided pictures than buy the literal cat in a sack.
if it got damaged or scuffed while taking out and testing, then of course this has to be stated honestly.

of course the argument can be made that something that is still sealed is worth more to a fancy collector.

the problem here is simply peoply lying, but wether it has been taken out of the box or not doesn't make a shred of a difference there, because someone willfully lying will just reseal the box, hell there's people rewrapping things to make them "new" again.

I'd rather have someone honest sell me something that they know is new than someone asking a huge markup just because it is still sealed.

Reply 10 of 12, by backup_boy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-02-10, 12:13:
I don't like people who sell used things as new. […]
Show full quote

I don't like people who sell used things as new.

if this has never been used and just taken out of the box to check on and has been taken out and tested, and is being stated as such then that is no problem imho, as long as everyone knows, it is for all intends and purposes still new.
(technically it isn't new anyways, since it is several decades old)

I'd rather have something that has been tested to work and provided pictures than buy the literal cat in a sack.
if it got damaged or scuffed while taking out and testing, then of course this has to be stated honestly.

of course the argument can be made that something that is still sealed is worth more to a fancy collector.

the problem here is simply peoply lying, but wether it has been taken out of the box or not doesn't make a shred of a difference there, because someone willfully lying will just reseal the box, hell there's people rewrapping things to make them "new" again.

I'd rather have someone honest sell me something that they know is new than someone asking a huge markup just because it is still sealed.

I agreeeeeeeeee 😁