VOGONS

First post, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

does anyone have an util diskette that came with AMD 287 FPU? I'd like to have a copy of contents.

Looks like this and even contents can be seen on the label - including: Copy freely 😉
gZvprRXm.jpg

I had it back in 1991 and the disk contained some demo programs I'd like to test now.

Thanks

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 5, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes. I was mostly interested in fractal generator. It takes really long time on a 286-16 with 287. I'll use it to do some benchmarks.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 5, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote on 2020-02-27, 13:00:

Yes. I was mostly interested in fractal generator. It takes really long time on a 286-16 with 287. I'll use it to do some benchmarks.

I wrote my own benchmark that's compatible with 286 and makes use of 287. It is meant to compare CPU/NPU speed and guess what, it draws fractals 😀

It's still WIP but works, could be of some use to you. Can use CGA (PCP as well), EGA or VGA as output in pretty much all graphics modes (runtime depends od pixel count) . Can also be run with no-output (except running time, that's text-only) but with the mode selection still available so that it knows the pixel count.

At the moment you can select which test suite you want to run, there are a few, but both CPU and NPU test will be run for that suite. If you are only interested in the co-processor I can disable the CPU tests, that would cut the execution time almost in half. I did test it on a 12MHz 286 and the full suite takes a few hours but as I said, you can be more selective.