VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a compaq prolinea 4/50S. When I enter the bios settings by pressing F10 during boot. It seems to be loading some kind of bios settings/diagnostic utility from the hard drive.
Anyone knows how I can keep that utility if I change partitions and reformat the current hard drive or change to a different hard drive if changing the bios settings can be only done using that utility?

Reply 1 of 2, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Prolinea 4/66 and it has a similar or even the same settings utility. I was able to download a program from I believe their ftp server that would create a bootable floppy with that configuration utility and from inside the utility I could choose to install the utility to the HDD so it could be acessed the way you described.
I can post the program or a floppy image later if you want to try it with your PC.

Reply 2 of 2, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. I managed to make the floppies. Now that I have been testing the compaq pc it seems it has a really strange memory configuration. Like all the SIMMs are different sizes.

memory.jpg
Filename
memory.jpg
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Also it doesn't seem have any cache, but that on board ram seems to be reasonably fast. It shows values in cachechk that are pretty much equal to L2 cache values on my main 486 pc that I built few years back
Not having cache probably still slows it down a little bit.