VOGONS

RAM valuation

Topic actions

First post, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is not a sale post, I am not looking to sell these here, only get a rough idea of value and how to best proceed.. I have some RAM modules that I wouldn't mind parting with but have no idea how much to ask.. also should I sell it wholesale or split them up? There are some DDR1 & 2, SDRAM, EDO and older in there... any advice of anyone who knows more of this stuff than me? See pictures...

I wasn't sure if this was the correct forum but didn't see any place else that better matches the content. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is a *lot* of RAM.

As for what's it worth... that depends on a couple of things:
- where are you located?
- how do you intend to sell?
- how much effort do you want to make in terms of identification and testing?

The pics give a good idea of the general type of memory, but aren't good enough to read the chip codes on the chips on the various module. There are a couple of 72p SIMMs that look interesting with very late package suggesting maybe 50ns, but that's not certain and overall there's nothing immediately spectacular out there. With unknown capacities and unknown status this load isn't going to get a whole lot. I'd definitely split the lot as the chance that someone looking for DDR2 is interested in 30p FP is about zero.

Actually testing all this stuff without dedicated SIMM/DIMM testers would take months, so not feasible. Figuring out what you have there and making a list would increase value (and hit rate when searching a lot).

Reply 2 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even 30 pin SIMMs are not going to go for a huge price. I suspect you'll want to sell those in four module lots to not get killed on shipping.

Rare stuff like SIPPs and ZIPs or the proprietary PS/2 modules will be more lucrative.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The largest modules of a given type will be the most attractive, as will the fastest:
- 16MB 30p SIMMs
- 64 and 128MB 72p SIMMs
- 50ns SIMMs of any description

SDRAM DIMMs just aren't in demand. Even 256MB double-sided (128Mb chip) CL2 PC133 DIMMs can be found on eBay for EUR 2 or so each with warranty...

Reply 4 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only mem chip that may be worth $$ is that COAST cache chip in the second picture, but it would have to be tested and identified as to which board(s) it works with.
As dionb and gdjacobs said, most older ram is just not worth that much. A bag of 24 mixed matched 64Mb-256Mb DDR cost me $10 last month, all but two tested fine. Last year bought a similar bag of mixed matched 72pin for about same price and all tested good.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2020-02-09, 01:55:

The only mem chip that may be worth $$ is that COAST cache chip in the second picture

If it is >256 kb, then probably. Or are COAST modules generally rare and expensive in the US? I've got a bunch of COAST modules and they are rather worthless here.

Reply 6 of 8, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

as a general guideline... they're worth as much as they are in scrap value, unless you find someone willing to pay more :p
the latter depends on how much effort you're willing to put into it.

in general people selling simms individually ask waaaay too much imho... usually I get large lots for the same price, or I just get them with a board I'm buying anyways.
so unless they're something really special, and you just want to get rid of them, either give them to people you know want them, or if you want to sell them sell them in lots.

Reply 8 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My advice would be to find matching pairs (4pcs. for SIMMs, 2pcs. for PS/2 and others), test them, and only sell these separately. Get rid of the rest as a lot.

If you've got lots of time, you could check every single memory module separately. Some may be very special and sought-after, even if it is not obvious at first glance. For example, if one of the PS/2 modules has a larger notch than usual, you can bet it's worth a bit of money.