VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried Klamath CPUs in the Intel made for Dell SE440BX-2 or -3 motherboard and would not power up. Any PIII I had with 100fsb works dandy good on this motherboard including 800MHz PIII.

Comments?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 5, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If i remember, dell mobos has some proprietary PSU conectors .

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 2 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yes that is not the problem. I ordered the Dell to ATX cable adapter and this worked on this board with Seasonic ATX PSU, point is I had this board working with PIII 800 no problem means I got the power part right.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 5, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two ideas, both of which aren't too convincing:
Bad contact in the CPU Slot? Maybe something on the retention mechanism blocks the old SECC CPUs from being fully inserted?
No support for 2.8v (Klamath core) CPUs? Maybe the manufacturer didn't expect anyone to downgrade to those old CPUs so they didn't support their voltages?
Again, both guesses seem rather unlikely.
Are newer 66MHz FSB CPUs (Deschutes, Covington and Mendocino core) supported and running at 66MHz?

Reply 4 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried a CMOS clear after installing the 66MHz CPU? If the board keeps running at 100MHz, no Klamath would manage to boot.

66MHz FSB incompatibility sounds odd to me, you could test with a P2-333 Deschutes - which also conveniently will frequently manage to run at 100MHz FSB (at least, if you disable L2 cache first) so as to rule that out. As for Mendocino, give it a try...

Reply 5 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-02-11, 03:52:

No support for 2.8v (Klamath core) CPUs? Maybe the manufacturer didn't expect anyone to downgrade to those old CPUs so they didn't support their voltages?

Pretty much that I'd assume as well. Or maybe the voltage must be set manually for these to work.