VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there a way to add RCA ports to a Sound Blaster AWE 64 so it will work like an AWE64 Gold ?
Can one just use a 3.5mm to RCA adapter to add RCA ports ?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-02-12, 21:48:

Is there a way to add RCA ports to a Sound Blaster AWE 64 so it will work like an AWE64 Gold ?

The image you posted isn't a 3.5 mm to RCA adapter, but is there some reason you wouldn't expect that to work..?

In theory the advantage to something like the Gold is that the stereo channels have better isolation from one another than you would get with a 3.5 mm to RCA adapter.

Reply 3 of 8, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Install a SIMMCONN to add more memory and use a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Then an AWE64 Value will be pretty much exactly the same as an AWE64 Gold.

RCA connectors on the back of the soundcard are pure audiophile wank. Exception audio quality is routinely delivered via 3.5mm audio jacks, and the AWE64 never had the high an output quality to begin with!

Reply 4 of 8, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most likely not worth it unless you're very skilled and it's a labor of love.
The RCA connectors on the Gold are super neat but I was pretty pissed when I wanted to test the card for the first time and had to patch together a RCA -> "mini-jack" cable.

Reply 5 of 8, by RoberMC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The AWE64 Gold RCA connectors are more a gimmick than anything, specially if you need to use an RCA to jack adapter as this might degrade the sound quality in more extent than the gold plated connectors preserve it.

The AWE64 and the Gold sound the same in my personal tests, there is no audible difference for standard use, if you somewhat want to improve it, replace the jacks with gold plated ones, and if you want to go further, take the audio signals at the output of the audio chip and route with high quaity conductors to an external audio mixing/amp circuit, that would make it sound much better than the Gold.

Reply 6 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RoberMC wrote on 2020-02-13, 20:29:

if you somewhat want to improve it, replace the jacks with gold plated ones

One of many misconceptions of audiophiles. Gold is a very bad conductor. The only advantage of gold is that it does not oxidise, but since its electrical resistance is higher than silver or copper, it will not improve audio quality. Silver would actually be the best conductor you could use for the jacks.

Reply 7 of 8, by RoberMC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-13, 20:36:
RoberMC wrote on 2020-02-13, 20:29:

if you somewhat want to improve it, replace the jacks with gold plated ones

One of many misconceptions of audiophiles. Gold is a very bad conductor. The only advantage of gold is that it does not oxidise, but since its electrical resistance is higher than silver or copper, it will not improve audio quality. Silver would actually be the best conductor you could use for the jacks.

Well, in "theory" that is correct, except that gold cannot be considered a very bad conductor metal just like if it were lithium or something like that which is really a bad conductor metal without being an insulator.

In practice, for this purpose, gold is the better choice because, like you said, it does not oxidise vs copper that oxidises pretty fast, so Gold in practice keeps resistivity under control over time 😉

I used the word "somewhat" because i know there is no difference between having clean copper or nickel plated connectors vs gold connectors in audio quality, but gold is more convenient and durable.

Reply 8 of 8, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-02-12, 21:48:

No. It will not be the same card, and you need some serious hacking of the output port, if you want it to look like a Gold edition. And not to mention, getting the looks right. And then you need to upgrade the memory, with some adaptor, and that alone will not make it a gold.

However. You can get darn close, if we are speaking in terms of upgrading to the same feature set.

Ans what about price? Is it really worth the effort? And will it not end up costing a fortune in the end, making an MT32 a better purchase.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011