VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just had a dumb thought.

It started by thinking, "I could 3D print a 3.5 inch floppy disk that would hold an SD card so I won't lose it."
Then I started thinking that I could 3D print a 3.5" floppy fascia that would hold an SD card reader.
Then I thought, "How could I duplicate the metal sleeve on the 3.5 inch floppy, and how could I make it slide back when inserted?"
Then I thought, "Could I gut a broken 3.5" floppy drive, remove the heads and actual mechanism, but leave the part that opens the floppy?"
Then I thought, "I could do the same thing with one of those tiny USB flash drives, I think... just have the female usb slot inside the 'drive' ".

Anyway, purely for making a modern vintage system, like the nuXT or a Raspberry Pi emulator, I began wondering if A) one could make a fake floppy drive/disk that reads/writes SD/flash, B) how would one go about doing it, C) would anyone be interested and D) would I get lynched by purists?

Reply 2 of 3, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah no need to 3D print your own floppy ^^ see the video

if you go the usb route and combine it with a gotek you can have all the disks on one stealthfloppy ^^ going full circle.

you could maybe even keep the seek mechanism of the drive intact for the authentic sound experience, I think I've seen this somewhere before.

Reply 3 of 3, by Luposian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hamby wrote on 2020-02-14, 08:32:
I just had a dumb thought. […]
Show full quote

I just had a dumb thought.

It started by thinking, "I could 3D print a 3.5 inch floppy disk that would hold an SD card so I won't lose it."
Then I started thinking that I could 3D print a 3.5" floppy fascia that would hold an SD card reader.
Then I thought, "How could I duplicate the metal sleeve on the 3.5 inch floppy, and how could I make it slide back when inserted?"
Then I thought, "Could I gut a broken 3.5" floppy drive, remove the heads and actual mechanism, but leave the part that opens the floppy?"
Then I thought, "I could do the same thing with one of those tiny USB flash drives, I think... just have the female usb slot inside the 'drive' ".

Anyway, purely for making a modern vintage system, like the nuXT or a Raspberry Pi emulator, I began wondering if A) one could make a fake floppy drive/disk that reads/writes SD/flash, B) how would one go about doing it, C) would anyone be interested and D) would I get lynched by purists?

Been there. Done that (just finished it tonight, actually). At least as a working prototype. The video shows a guy who made a "one-off" 3.5" floppy disk/drive that is cool, but I'm after something that is manufacturable and part of a larger project. Problem there is, how to duplicate an existing design. No one makes floppys or floppy drives anymore. So modding an existing design is one thing, but making it a new product is quite another. Fortunately, I haven't spent much money in this little jaunt ($50-$75 or so), so if I discover it leads to a dead end, at least it didn't kill me financially.

Nostalgia is nice... but it's gotta be more than just trying to relive the past. You can't do that... you're not there anymore.