VOGONS

First post, by p6889k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a UM 386 motherboard that doesn't have any onboard CMOS battery, but does have a 4 pin header (pin1 3.6v, pin2 unused, pin3 ground, pin4 ground). How can I tell if the port is charging or non-charging so that I know whether to connect chargeable or non-chargeable batteries. I tested pin1 with multimeter without any battery connected and it reads 4.66v. Does it mean it's charging or do I need to test for something else besides voltage? How? For now I connected two Eneloop AA batteries to it. Second questions, the Eneloop AA are 1.2V each, with two of them that's total of 2.4V. If the port is a charging port, is it ok to have a 4.66v going into 2.4v AA battery pack with two 1.2v eneloops?

Thank you.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k, 48k+, 128k, +2
Amiga 1200, 68030/40mhz
386DX/33, ET4000, SBPro2, MT32
Dual PPro/200, Millennium II, Voodoo 2, AWE32, SC-55
etc.

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like it is a charging battery connection or you would not see any volts. Did it have a barrel type battery attached to the board originally?
If it did then you need 3.7v of battery as those barrels were only made in 3.6-3.7v AFIAK. If it never had a barrel then it would have used a 3.6v Nicad battery pack. Yes you are overcharging the two Eneloops by a lot ! I would use three of them.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by p6889k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-02-15, 17:16:

Sounds like it is a charging battery connection or you would not see any volts. Did it have a barrel type battery attached to the board originally?
If it did then you need 3.7v of battery as those barrels were only made in 3.6-3.7v AFIAK. If it never had a barrel then it would have used a 3.6v Nicad battery pack. Yes you are overcharging the two Eneloops by a lot ! I would use three of them.

It did not have any battery attached at all and doesn't seem like it every did. The motherboard manual doesn't mention it and the board doesn't have placeholder for it. Unfortunately the motherboard doesn't specify if it's a charging port.

Amiga 1200, 68030/40mhz
etc.

Reply 4 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote on 2020-02-15, 17:50:

I was told that you need to measure current when a battery is connected and the computer is turned on and that will tell if it will charge it or not.

The problem with that is most CMOS chips only need about a dozen microamps to keep it's memory alive, and it does not account for the reverse charge current going into battery when on. Better would be measure the current with system on going to the battery, if only a few microamps then not charging as it would require something in the 10 milliamp range or more to charge. There is a Vogans topic on this but can't find it...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 6, by p6889k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried to measure the current both when turned on and off and didn't detect anything with my multimeter. I'm attaching a photo of the header, next to it are two diodes (I'm guessing) connected in series to the 3.6v pin. Maybe one of you can deduce something from it?

Also, noticed the rechargeable batteries are not getting warm when the computer is running. Does it mean they're not charging, typically they would feel warm when plugged to a regular wall charger.

Attachments

• IMG_0439.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0439.jpg
    File size
    542.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Amiga 1200, 68030/40mhz
etc.

Reply 6 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, CR2 definately makes sure the battery is connected properly or else no volts to cmos, also would prevent any charging. You need a 4.5v +/- battery source (4.5v- 0.7v for diode=3.8v) so three AAA or AA batteries is what it needs. It probably had something like the attached picture originally which are near impossible to find.

Attachments

• Image1s.jpg
    Filename
    Image1s.jpg
    File size
    87.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain