VOGONS

First post, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Folks, I have a Creative Blaster card, Voodoo II 12MB that seems to have a broken/undetected TMU.

The card seems to work with tests, etc but as it is missing a TMU, how would that translate into games?

I want to use the memory of this board as donor to use on an 8MB Monster II, bringing that one up to 12MB, but being tha this card is partially working, is there some way at all to identify which is the TMU that is broken and which is detected/working..?

Reply 2 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what I understand, the second TMU is not even detected. This is no issue, as the Voodoo2 can run with just one TMU. That's actually what the Banshee is and the second TMU can also be disabled using a registry value.

Now if you can find out which TMU is not detected by using an IR gun is probably worth trying - if he has an IR gun, that is.

Reply 5 of 12, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-15, 21:43:

Unlikely that it gets hot. If it would be bad in a way to make it getting hot, the card probably would no longer work. If at all, it remains cold(er) as it is not detected and not used.

Uhm right, so he probably means that the one that is working will be at least warm(er)..?

Reply 6 of 12, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
walterg74 wrote on 2020-02-15, 22:02:

Uhm right, so he probably means that the one that is working will be at least warm(er)..?

That was what I meant yes. As for the IR gun, I just assumed that anyone with an interest like ours would own one. You can get some really cheap ones that work fine for hobbyists.

Reply 7 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lost77 wrote on 2020-02-16, 00:08:

That was what I meant yes. As for the IR gun, I just assumed that anyone with an interest like ours would own one. You can get some really cheap ones that work fine for hobbyists.

Just my two cents, but I've used and tested a few hundred cards in the last few years alone and I've never used an IR gun. The number of unexplained genuine chip failures I've seen (as opposed to bad passive components or physical damage) is extremely low... probably less than 15 cards, and they tend to be newer BGA parts that I don't have the skills or equipment to repair (for example, Radeon 9800 series cards with bad memory). I did recently purchase a FLIR One with the intent of using it for all sorts of non-computer related things, but also for diagnosing component failures... but I admittedly haven't had to use it yet.

I would honestly lean toward external failure (almost always physical damage) as the cause of a TMU being bad on a Voodoo 2 before I blamed it on a chip failure. Check all the legs of the chips and check all the traces for any damage or broken\missing surface mount components.

EDIT: Actually, it doesn't even sound like there's definitely a problem now that I read the OP again. Have you actually played any games or seen any graphical artifacts on this card?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 8 of 12, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-02-16, 05:36:
Just my two cents, but I've used and tested a few hundred cards in the last few years alone and I've never used an IR gun. The n […]
Show full quote
lost77 wrote on 2020-02-16, 00:08:

Just my two cents, but I've used and tested a few hundred cards in the last few years alone and I've never used an IR gun. The number of unexplained genuine chip failures I've seen (as opposed to bad passive components or physical damage) is extremely low... probably less than 15 cards, and they tend to be newer BGA parts that I don't have the skills or equipment to repair (for example, Radeon 9800 series cards with bad memory). I did recently purchase a FLIR One with the intent of using it for all sorts of non-computer related things, but also for diagnosing component failures... but I admittedly haven't had to use it yet.

I would honestly lean toward external failure (almost always physical damage) as the cause of a TMU being bad on a Voodoo 2 before I blamed it on a chip failure. Check all the legs of the chips and check all the traces for any damage or broken\missing surface mount components.

EDIT: Actually, it doesn't even sound like there's definitely a problem now that I read the OP again. Have you actually played any games or seen any graphical artifacts on this card?

Well....

5FEB5F18-245B-4E19-8C39-52498B685B97.jpeg
Filename
5FEB5F18-245B-4E19-8C39-52498B685B97.jpeg
File size
303.68 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 9 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The card wouldn't know to simply not use a bad TMU. If you have no visual corruption in games, then it is likely not bad and is some kind of software or driver issue. If there is visual corruption, then I would first investigate all the things I mentioned.

Reply 10 of 12, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I accidentally destroyed some of the pins on a TMU once and the Voodoo 2 card worked fine using just one TMU. I am guessing something similar might be the problem for walterg74. The non-active TMU didn't get hot while playing. I gave up repairing it, those pins where too small for my skills.

Reply 11 of 12, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lost77 wrote on 2020-02-16, 19:57:

I accidentally destroyed some of the pins on a TMU once and the Voodoo 2 card worked fine using just one TMU. I am guessing something similar might be the problem for walterg74. The non-active TMU didn't get hot while playing. I gave up repairing it, those pins where too small for my skills.

Did you have to disable the bad TMU yourself? Seems odd that the drivers would be set up to detect a bad or missing TMU and keep working with reduced performance.

Reply 12 of 12, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope, I didn't have to do anything. The voodoo 2 architecture actually support 1-3 TMUs and 3dfx used one for the banshee and two for the Voodoo 2. A version with three didn't make sense at the time, dual texturing wasn't even implemented in games yet.