VOGONS

First post, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Backstory - this is my most precious computer. I bought it myself, new, with two or three saved summers' worth of mowing lawns in the neighborhood. It was sold at dealers back then, so it must have been a strange sight for a ~14 year old to show up to buy it! It's a 486DX2, ISA slots, and I even have the 64kb cache card. It got me through most of high school and a year of undergrad before I jumped to a P3/450. It's been largely powered off ever since.

Two weeks ago I began to painstakingly restore every last bit of it - aesthetic & functional. The GREAT news is that until two days ago, after a lot of cleaning, troubleshooting etc. it was running 100%! When I first powered it on, I was kind of shocked that the battery appeared to have survived the test of time--clock had only drifted a couple of days. Configuration at time of last successful boot: 16MB RAM (untouched), a SB16, the cache card, 3.5" FDD and a 120MB Quantum Prodrive... all working and booting to a freshly installed DOS 6.22.

On the next boot, I heard the dreaded beeps and got a '162-System Options Not Set - (Run Setup)' message which I'm getting ever since. Going to setup, I'm prompted to re-specify my floppy drives, but a reboot doesn't clear the issue. The FDD no longer is recognized (nor does it do a power-on seek during POST) and sometimes the HD boots to DOS, other times I get a 'Missing Operating System' as though CMOS settings for the drive type have gotten screwed up. Is this the Dallas RTC/battery finally giving out? Could it be that it was running on fumes and the past two weeks' activity finally depleted it? Or is that a red herring and I should look elsewhere?

The chip is a Dallas DS1397 chip ("REALTIME RAMified" on the housing... haha).

IMG_3767.jpg
Filename
IMG_3767.jpg
File size
418.7 KiB
Views
File comment
The Dallas DS1397 chip
File license
Public domain

I'm not great with electronics work but I can do some rudimentary soldering, de-soldering and have a multimeter. I wanted to get advice on what to do next before I start trying more invasive things.

Some things I've tried:
- remove/reseat RAM
- remove/reseat cache card
- remove all ISA cards
- try different HDs that I knew worked on this computer during the two weeks of testing

What I'm thinking next:
- confirm hypothesis that the battery is giving out by finding a way to read its voltage w/o tearing up the whole system.

One other data point on the precipitating event: after my last successful boot, I powered off the machine and connected a second Quantum Prodrive (a 270MB model that I had bought later on down the line) to the second IDE channel in order to see what was on it. After I connected the drive and powered on, that is when this issue occurred. I'm chalking it up to 'battery gave out just then' but if it's possible connecting this second drive precipitated the problem, that would be interesting to know.

Any help would be appreciated!

So close to done....

IMG_3768.jpg
Filename
IMG_3768.jpg
File size
386.21 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by Swiego on 2020-02-16, 20:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That would be the crux of the issue, the battery inside the Dallas chip is starting to give out. You can either replace it if it's socketed, or hack a external battery onto it as explained here: http://greyghost.mooo.com/ds1397rework

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 2 of 7, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vynix wrote on 2020-02-16, 20:25:

That would be the crux of the issue, the battery inside the Dallas chip is starting to give out. You can either replace it if it's socketed, or hack a external battery onto it as explained here: http://greyghost.mooo.com/ds1397rework

Agreed... what do you recommend in the way of absolutely-certain diagnostics to confirm this is the case? A replace/hack will be scary work for me, so I don't want to go down this road lightly. For example, if the 'floppy drive not seeking on POST' issue is a function of a weakening PSU, I'd like to figure out how to test the PSU or eliminate it as a cause. Unrelated, I wish I could find someone locally (SF Bay Area) who could completely tear down, clean and rebuild the PSU since I'm sure it's another weak point that's well outside my ability.

I saw your link before posting; it wasn't very helpful as to what needs to be done and it doesn't look like the poster actually finished the job. On the other hand, this link seemed helpful: https://www.vdheijden-messerli.net/sgistuff/p … 5.19-io4-nvram/

I bought an old, cheap NOS DS1397 chip, I figured I ought to practice on it before taking the knife to my computer.

Reply 3 of 7, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Swiego wrote on 2020-02-16, 20:54:
Agreed... what do you recommend in the way of absolutely-certain diagnostics to confirm this is the case? A replace/hack will b […]
Show full quote
Vynix wrote on 2020-02-16, 20:25:

Agreed... what do you recommend in the way of absolutely-certain diagnostics to confirm this is the case? A replace/hack will be scary work for me, so I don't want to go down this road lightly. For example, if the 'floppy drive not seeking on POST' issue is a function of a weakening PSU, I'd like to figure out how to test the PSU or eliminate it as a cause. Unrelated, I wish I could find someone locally (SF Bay Area) who could completely tear down, clean and rebuild the PSU since I'm sure it's another weak point that's well outside my ability.

I saw your link before posting; it wasn't very helpful as to what needs to be done and it doesn't look like the poster actually finished the job. On the other hand, this link seemed helpful: https://www.vdheijden-messerli.net/sgistuff/p … 5.19-io4-nvram/

I bought an old, cheap NOS DS1397 chip, I figured I ought to practice on it before taking the knife to my computer.

If I am not blind, your Dallas IS socketed.
So just replace it 😁

Reply 4 of 7, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it?! That would be pleasant. It does look like it's on a pedestal which perhaps is the socket. Just use some tongs or other fixture to pull straight up? (Tried the finger wiggling test and it's solidly attached.)

Here are some better side views.

ds1397-2.jpg
Filename
ds1397-2.jpg
File size
242.24 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
ds1397-1.jpg
Filename
ds1397-1.jpg
File size
395.81 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

And update: yeah, that was rather easy to remove! Excellent thank you! Now to the next step of checking if the battery is dead.

ds1397-3 removed.jpg
Filename
ds1397-3 removed.jpg
File size
498.49 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 5 of 7, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Normally if the battery is dying the time would have started to drift away, and when the battery finally dies, the BIOS will go back to its default values, and the time will roll back to the default date.

That's not a very surefire way to see if a RTC chip is dead, but it at least gives you an idea if the RTC chip is dying or not.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 6 of 7, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vynix wrote on 2020-02-16, 23:52:

Normally if the battery is dying the time would have started to drift away, and when the battery finally dies, the BIOS will go back to its default values, and the time will roll back to the default date.

That's not a very surefire way to see if a RTC chip is dead, but it at least gives you an idea if the RTC chip is dying or not.

That complicates things. On each reboot or power cycle, the clock appears unaffected. The machine clearly thinks the configuration is not set, and goes through a routine of asking some default questions. Could it be a corrupted CMOS or something similar?

I reset to default settings in the F10 setup screen, but it didn't help.

I've noticed that when I make some changes such as pulling memory sticks, on power cycle the system errors out that memory size has changed, adjusts it in F10 setup, then remembers the setting (and doesn't not error out) on subsequent power cycles. This also suggests the battery may not be the culprit... or at least the only element at work.

Reply 7 of 7, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PROBLEM SOLVED.

It was the floppy drive cable... not properly connected to the pins on the motherboard (offset one set of pins.)

Vynix - your comment helped - realizing the clock is not resetting and therefore the battery must be Ok, I went back to basics. When I reset configuration in F10 Setup, the BIOS asked me not only to identify the floppy drives but also some other things e.g. power-on Num Lock state. Whereas on a power cycle, it only asked me to verify the floppy drive configuration. This led me to think it was about that 3.5" drive. All fixed!

And fortunately I now know how to pop off the RTC and have a second on the way to practice for the inevitable future where that battery dies.

That being said, it's amazing how long-lived the lithium cell in this thing is.