VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a sticker on over 30 year old computer hardware that somehow during the years has moved from its original spot to somewhere where it is not suppose to be. Does anyone know a good way to remove it from the plastic and being able to relocate it to the spot where it is suppose to be without damaging it? I would prefer to be able to save the sticker because it has all the information like model number, manufacturing date and the serial number.
Secondary objective could be that because the sticker has gotten bit brown during the years it would be nice to be able to also clean it a bit without damaging the sticker and the info on it. That isn't absolutely necessary if there is risk involved in cleaning it.

I did watch some videos on youtube where people did something like this using a heat gun, but none of them mentioned what the temperature of the heat gun should be set to so you don't damage it. I have a heat gun for electronics work that allows the temperature to be set between 100C and 600C with 1C increments.

I would appreciate any advice on this before trying.

Reply 2 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JidaiGeki wrote on 2020-02-18, 06:55:

Personally I’d try a hair dryer with a plastic scraper. Is it a paper, plastic or metal sticker?

I am actually not sure about the material. Either plastic or paper. It is a white label at the bottom of IBM model M keyboard that I recently found in a local recycling center.
I don't own a hair dryer. Would my heat gun be too hot for it even at 100C?

Reply 3 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a heatgun at a healthy distance that I know won't melt any plastic or brown/char paper and then use a razor knife to lift the sticker up, sometimes adding more heat.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2020-02-18, 15:39:

I use a heatgun at a healthy distance that I know won't melt any plastic or brown/char paper and then use a razor knife to lift the sticker up, sometimes adding more heat.

What temperature you set the heatgun to? Would the thin nozzle that I use for electronics be good or better to remove the nozzle and blow air to a wider area?

Reply 5 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The heatgun is an industrial paint removal thing with only 350 and 600ºC settings, which is why I said "healthy distance". I don't use any nozzle on it as it would make a heat laser which I don't. Heat cannot be much above 60 or you risk damaging any plastics etc.

Reply 7 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2020-02-18, 16:43:

The heatgun is an industrial paint removal thing with only 350 and 600ºC settings, which is why I said "healthy distance". I don't use any nozzle on it as it would make a heat laser which I don't. Heat cannot be much above 60 or you risk damaging any plastics etc.

Perhaps heatgun was wrong word to use then when I talked about it. This is what I use and you can change the temperature of the air that it blows between 100C and 600C at 1C increments. I don't own a hair dryer and I would not want to buy one just for this if possible.

hotair.jpg
Filename
hotair.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't use a hot air soldering gun. Even with the largest tip on it, you are going to be concentrating the heat way too much. You need something that can heat up the whole sticker in order to loosen/melt the glue so you can remove the sticker.

What about borrowing a hair dryer?

Do you have any thrift stores near you? If so, hair dryers are usually really cheap at thrift stores.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 10, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-02-18, 19:42:

I wouldn't use a hot air soldering gun. Even with the largest tip on it, you are going to be concentrating the heat way too much. You need something that can heat up the whole sticker in order to loosen/melt the glue so you can remove the sticker.

What about borrowing a hair dryer?

Do you have any thrift stores near you? If so, hair dryers are usually really cheap at thrift stores.

Diameter is bit about 22mm when I take the whole nozzle off and then at lowest temperature setting I can blow air to my hand from 15cm distance without it burning my hand.
If that doesn't work I could probably borrow a hair dryer, but it would probably take over a week before I could get it.

Reply 10 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You set that heatgun to 100, maximize airflow, put your finger on the sticker and move the gun to a distance where you'll have hard time keeping your finger in place. Now you will not damage the plastics and sticker and can start sliding razor knife under one corner to peel the sticker up.