VOGONS

First post, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I acquired a 2002 gateway machine that I would like to try and save since it is the only system I now have that uses Rambus memory. The machine when powered on will startup the fans but the screen stays black. No beeps. I took a few pics and I noticed something strange on one of the IC chips, that apparently is a volt regulator. I did a quick google search and this turned up. Just making sure this would be the part I need to order to try and see if this fixes this board.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-In … 2FosCb91G9fQ%3D

20200220_225003.jpg
Filename
20200220_225003.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20200220_225007.jpg
Filename
20200220_225007.jpg
File size
1.67 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by lowlytech on 2020-02-21, 15:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 12, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I misrepresented earlier what the motherboard was doing. I had a chance to hook it back up and the power supply actually powers up the minute you apply power but the power LED stays orange and pressing the power button does absolutely nothing. I checked the voltage on pin 6 of the suspected bad chip and I've got 5.9 volts into the chip on pin 6, however the 1.8 volt and the 3.3 pins out show no voltage, so i am gonna attempt to get this IC replaced and see if that corrects the issue.

Reply 4 of 12, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last time I saw chips with weird bumps like that, the PC was a victim of a power surge due to a nearby lightning strike. Somehow it got across the PSU into secondary and basically killed everything - mobo, HDD, all cards. CPU survived though. Can't remember what happened to RAM.
That being said, maybe it's a localized failure - I think I see barely noticable PCB discoloration under that chip, so perhaps it just heat-related. In that case replacing the chip should do the trick.

Reply 5 of 12, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well got that IC replaced with a new one from mouser. The green led on the motherboard lights up when connected to the power supply, but still acts dead when pressing the power button. The light stays orange on the power button as well. Swapped power supplies just in case as well and no luck. This machine may have very well been a victim of a lightning strike. Gonna go for the replacement board from ebay since they are still available.

Reply 6 of 12, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I can't believe it, ordered another gateway 850 based board, but this time went for the earlier 423 socket since this is what I really wanted, and it does the same exact thing. No power at all on soft on, and the LED in the power button is stuck on orange. Have 3 power supplies that have the AUX connector on them that I know are good, and they all do the same thing, no dice.

Bought the board as I assumed it was tested, but looking back they don't state it is bad or good, so I assumed the best. This board looks to have no defects. Is the best place to start with an issue like this the MOSFET's? Looks like there are a total of 14 of these types of MOSFET devices. Any hints or recommendations on how to test these?

20200302_205706a.jpg
Filename
20200302_205706a.jpg
File size
1.65 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 7 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was it sold as parts or scrap? If not, then you should be able to get a refund.

How are you trying to turn it on? Are you sure you are jumpering the correct header points on the board to power it on?

Could your power switch be faulty?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 12, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It wasn't listed as for not working or scrap, but there wasn't any pictures of it booted. The seller got back with me just a bit ago and told me to try different RAM. I have a gateway case of the era where the front panel headers match up with a keyed connector and testing the pins when the power button is pushed does make my DMM beep showing a closed circuit. Once the power supply is plugged in two of the pins on the front header section show 5 volts, and one shows 3.3 volts. I believe these top pins getting 5v to be power and HDD led headers, but they immediately light without pushing the power button. Of course following the standard layout of today, I have tried shorting the pins with a screwdriver that correspond with the power on pins of today, and I get no signs of life other than a small green LED on the motherboard showing standby voltage present like most all intel boards did.

Reply 9 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you make sure that there isn't a standoff in a different place than the old motherboard which would most likely end up causing a short / trigger a safety feature to keep it from turning on?

It also kinda sounds like the front panel header is wired differently even though the plug matches up.

You may be able to find the connector pin layout for that board by searching for the model number.

I am guessing you also have a good CMOS battery installed?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 12, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Cyclone for hanging in there with me. When I tried a power up, I had the motherboard out of the case on a cardboard support, the header from the old gateway could still reach the front panel. I pulled up an intel manual for this board and they show the standard connections that we all know and love today for the front panel. However I understand this could have been modified for gateway. One other interesting thing I saw in the manaul was that this board supports CPU's 1.4; 1.5. I realize the other speeds probably didn't exist at the time, but this CPU that already came installed is a 1.9GHz.
Here is the manual I was referencing. (1.4 processor, + 2.8.3.2, table 46)

https://webdoc.lenovo.com.cn/lenovowsi/cskb/d … NVjMQ3toDsr.pdf

Yes the battery tested good, additionally I removed it and let it the board sit for 10 minutes and tried another bootup and still does the same thing.

I have been conversing with the seller, and we agreed on a partial refund since the board appears dead. I still would like to get this working, but my gut is telling me to take another 50 dollar shot with another D850GB to save sanity and time . I am kinda nervous however since I have had 2 dead d850 based boards now. Wondering if there was some issue with this design?

Reply 11 of 12, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 3rd d850 board came today from ebay and everything is working. Only difference was this is a full fledged intel board instead of the gateway revision. Maybe gateways power supplies were harder on these boards than normal. So the only thing that isn't gonna be gateway branded is the motherboard post screen. I can live with that I suppose unless someone knows an easy way to customize the BIOS splash image which i think was possible with these. Would have to find the utility and picture though.

Reply 12 of 12, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Third time lucky! Well done for persevering.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.