VOGONS

First post, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know 95A doesn't support USB, but I am stuck with a device in Device Manager that has no driver, and thus it's consuming resources without being able to share IRQs and such. I don't remember if it's possible to load a (presumably useless) driver under 95A, or if there's an update that will handle this more gracefully..?

Halp.

Reply 2 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Loading a useless driver will still cause the device to want resources if it is not disabled. Have you tried disabling in device manger ? It could free up some windows resources but if the bios is assigning IRQ's then you need to disable it from the bios to make it totally disappear.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I respectfully disagree. If you have a LPT port or Com port that the motherboard or addon card physically assigns an IRQ then it will use that resource even if Windows says it does not. I have this special diag card that has proven this to me many times because it checks at the true hardware level and not thru software.

Attachments

• IMG_0833s.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0833s.jpg
    File size
    96.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 6, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

* Can you disable it in the BIOS?
No. Surprisingly many of my boards have no options for disabling various integrated peripherals. I'm continually amazed. (Also very few allow you to disable option ROMs. I thought I used to see that feature everywhere, and now I wait for 2940s to initialize way more than I care to.)

* Can you use OSR2?
I could, but I've gone on this pointless mission to run Win95A on my Pentium 166 MMX, and Win95C on my Cyrix 6x86 PR200+ because I want all of my builds to be on unique OSes -- partly as a self-imposed restriction that prevents me from hoarding collecting ALL the computers. Both boards have on-board USB, although perhaps the Cyrix's board has a BIOS option to disable it, and so I could maybe switch them. That said, I am really feeling 95A's age. 2GB partition limit, no USB at all, no DMA for disk access... This was really the turf of late 486 and early Pentium systems. Can't believe I ran a PII-350 on 95 for years.

* Can you just disable it in Device Manager?
Yes, but the hardware still has its IRQ allocated. My guess is that PCI IRQ sharing will only work if the drivers can coordinate it, since I am unable to allocate its IRQ to anything else without getting a conflict warning. (Maybe it can't be shared at all for some other reason though.) For now, I've allowed it to conflict with the tertiary IDE channel on the AWE32, and I've disabled both in DM. Sloppy, but I guess it works.