VOGONS

First post, by Vany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I select MPU-401 as the sound source, I get no sound in DOS games, tested with Human Machine Interfaces which says the driver failed to initialize. MIDI sounds fine in Windows 98 though. I have the latest (I believe) drivers. What gives? It's on an IBM ThinkPad A30.

Trident Cyber 9525DVD Test, Review and supported games list

Reply 1 of 11, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is connected to the MPU-401 interface? If nothing, you can't get sound in DOS by selecting this. MPU-401 requires either a wavetable or an external MIDI module.

In Win98, there's a software wavetable, but not in DOS.

Reply 2 of 11, by Vany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-22, 20:47:

What is connected to the MPU-401 interface? If nothing, you can't get sound in DOS by selecting this. MPU-401 requires either a wavetable or an external MIDI module.

In Win98, there's a software wavetable, but not in DOS.

There's a wavetable from the soundchip Crystal WaveSynth or something, but works only in Windows. My other machine has a Maestro 2 chip which also has it's own wavetable and when I select MPU-401 I can get it to work in DOS games.

Reply 4 of 11, by Vany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-22, 21:31:

I'm not familiar with the CS4299, but "Crystal WaveSynth" sounds like a software wavetable to me. This won't work in DOS.

Anything I can do to get MIDI music to work in DOS games then?

Reply 5 of 11, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vany wrote on 2020-02-22, 21:34:

I'm not familiar with the CS4299, but "Crystal WaveSynth" sounds like a software wavetable to me. This won't work in DOS.

Did you try setting as Adlib?

Reply 7 of 11, by Vany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hwh wrote on 2020-02-23, 06:01:
Vany wrote on 2020-02-22, 21:34:

Did you try setting as Adlib?

Yeah, it doesn't work.

Reply 8 of 11, by Vany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baoran wrote on 2020-02-23, 12:30:

CS4299 is the same chip used in Thinkpad T23 which was the first thinkpad without any dos compatibility. CS4299 is a pure AC97 codec chip for windows as far as I know.

It's soundblaster emulation works though? Better than some other cards that are compatible.

Reply 9 of 11, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it's AC'97-only, it can't do Adlib, since it has no FM functionality. In pure DOS, you are most likely completely out of luck.

In Windows 98, MIDI works for DOS games, because Windows will catch all data going to port 0x330 and redirect it to the MIDI mapper. Sound Blaster may work this way as well. It should at least, as AC'97 normally does SB emulation in a DOS session inside Windows.

Reply 10 of 11, by Vany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-23, 16:54:

If it's AC'97-only, it can't do Adlib, since it has no FM functionality. In pure DOS, you are most likely completely out of luck.

In Windows 98, MIDI works for DOS games, because Windows will catch all data going to port 0x330 and redirect it to the MIDI mapper. Sound Blaster may work this way as well. It should at least, as AC'97 normally does SB emulation in a DOS session inside Windows.

Thats what I'm trying to do but it doesn't work, says midi driver failed to initialize when I try that.

Reply 11 of 11, by atlantisworld

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have purchased a Thinkpad 1161 (i1200) with CS4299 sound card and have tried both VXD and WDM drivers on windows 98SE and only got audio in Dos games within Windows. I tried on Windows ME with the same WDM driver, and I already have Midi GM and audio in DOS games on Windows. My question is why does it work on Windows ME and not on Windows 98SE, freshly installed, without updates?