VOGONS

First post, by Machine Monarch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm having trouble with my Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT not detecting any of my LAN PC Cards.

Cards
Netgear 32-Bit CardBus Notebook Adapter 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet FA511
Dell Fast Ethernet 10/100 BASE-TX by 3Com Model 3CCFE575CT-D

Operating System Windows 98 (Swedish)

Pins in the PCMCIA slot do NOT seem bent.
But the latches on the left side of the ports dont seem to do anything. I can push the cards into the slots but nothing happens.

Has anyone run across this?

Reply 3 of 10, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 430CDT should be like most '95 ~ '97 laptops that seem pretty modern but don't actually support Cardbus - try a 10mbps PCMCIA NIC. I'm surprised they even fit in the slot?
The easy way to tell Cardbus from PCMCIA is that Cardbus cards usually have a gold strip by the connector, PCMCIA do not.

Reply 5 of 10, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 430CDT is PCMCIA 16 bit only (no 32bit Cardbus support) - both cards you listed are Cardbus and are NOT compatible.

See the spec sheet on:
https://support.dynabook.com/support/staticCo … omTOCLink=false

Reply 8 of 10, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Machine Monarch wrote on 2020-03-10, 21:29:
Thanks for the advice ppl! […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the advice ppl!

Could anyone tell me if these would work?

3Com EtherLink III LAN 2C589D-Comb3
or
3Com 3C589D-TP

I have had no problems with 3Com PCMCIA NICs, I've used then even on a Thinkpad 360Ce (486-50MHz). They are one of the most compatible ones. Just remember that many of these (not all) require a separate white propietary cable , which provides the RJ-45 jack. Also, even if you buy a 10/100 one, it will not reach speeds near the 100Mbps.

Reply 9 of 10, by Istarian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When it comes to PC Card/CardBus network cards you can get one of four kinds of connector:
- an ethernet cable that's permanently attached to the card, and ends in a RJ-45 plug
- a separate dongle that plugs into the card and breaks out to an RJ-45 jack
- something called XJACK which is basically a little fold-out RJ-45 jack (looks incredibly flimsy)
- a sizable bump on the end of the card which houses the RJ-45 jack
RJ-45 --> standard Ethernet connector

If you only need one card installed at a time the fourth are absolutely the easiest to work with, but barring that the kind with a dongle are the second most durable.easy to use (assuming you can keep track of the dongle). The first kind are a bit annoying, I know because I have a Linksys PCMLM28 that has that design, and the third just make me nervous about longevity of that connector.

Cards come in primary three forms:
- 10 Mbps (old school 'slow' Ethernet/LAN)
- 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet
- either of the first two combined with some type of standard modem

The second form is quite commonly found as a CardBus device, but PC Card versions exist.

I can't speak to all the manufacturers that exist, but I know of at least 4 that have PC Card models: Linksys, 3Com, D-Link, and Xircom. Also I personally have an OvisLink OV-PC16d which is a fast ethernet PC card of the fourth type above.

Different brands use different names:
- 3Com (Etherlink, Megahertz, Office Connect)
- Linksys (Linksys, EtherFast)
- Xircom (Xircom, Xircom RealPort)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3Com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xircom

P.S.

There is a 3CCFE574BT that is a PC Card, whereas 3CCFE575BT is CardBus. Both come in dongle and XJACK versions and seem to be fairly common on US eBay, though finding a dongle-version with a dongle at a reason price (<$15) is difficult.

PCMCIA is not the proper term... as it stands for the standards body not the actual card spec.

Reply 10 of 10, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 3com 574BT works Vanilla with WIn95. Win95 has built in drivers. Plug and play.
Not sure about Win98 compatibility.

Attachments