VOGONS

Amd Am486 DX-40 with missing pin

Topic actions

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I received today a bunch of cpus with bent pins, the cpu on the subject had this pin that went of when just touched, it is the one on the keyed side.
In this page is identified as D20: http://ps-2.kev009.com/eprmhtml/eprmx/h12203.htm
In this picture is the A1: https://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/chap3_ … nks/03fig14.gif

Any guess if it is a necessary pin or just unused?
Since in the second picture is called PLUG, I suppose it is just a pin used to keep the cpu well firmed in the socket?

Many thanks.

Reply 1 of 23, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As you can see in the second picture there are 4 rows each side and first one there are 3 rows on each side so they are not the same pin. It is D20 in both pictures. I think that pin is in use. D0-D31 are the data pins.

Last edited by Baoran on 2020-02-27, 17:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 23, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It miiiight be possible to solder the pin back to the stubs I see in the hole and then covering things in epoxy to get mechanical strength necessary. That pin is essential to operation and it won't be possible to run the CPU without it.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 23, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just out of curiosity. Since the CPU starts real mode would it at least attempt to boot somehow?

Or would it just hang due to using 32bit bursts during the first cache line fill?

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 8 of 23, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mpe wrote on 2020-02-27, 17:33:

Just out of curiosity. Since the CPU starts real mode would it at least attempt to boot somehow?

During POST, switching to protected mode is already tested, so it will most likely not even show anything on screen at all.

Reply 9 of 23, by BreakPoint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Every time cache miss occurs CPU will initiate cache line fill. On 486 cache it's 16 bytes - 4 bytes per 4 transactions. So all data lines are required to perform cache fill.

My CPU collection - Looking for hardware in Ukraine - Ukraine vintage PC forum

Reply 10 of 23, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mpe wrote on 2020-02-27, 17:33:

Or would it just hang due to using 32bit bursts during the first cache line fill?

It will attempt to boot but will read corrupted data on the very first code fetch. The 486 expects data read from address with lowest 2 bits at 10b (=2) to be presented on data lines D16-D23. No matter what bus size mode it is (32-bit, or 16/8 with BS16#/BS8# asserted) - the mobo chipset has to route the data to correct D lines. If the 486 was actually doing this data routing internally and thus would always expect the 8-bit reads (which is how most 486 mobos implement the BIOS ROM) to be presented at D0-D7, you'd get at least past CPU test and into low 64k memory test in BIOS. So a POST card would work and display someting else than 00 before the system hangs. But, as it is, it won't work at all.

Reply 11 of 23, by BreakPoint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually both cache and prefetcher use all 32 data lines. So with one data line missing it should not work.

Attachments

• 486.png
    Filename
    486.png
    File size
    65.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My CPU collection - Looking for hardware in Ukraine - Ukraine vintage PC forum

Reply 13 of 23, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great was tempted to clip the pin on my CPU just for the sake of science.

Nitroraptor53 wrote on 2020-02-27, 19:50:

Similar. My DX2-50 is missing a VCC pin (whatever that means) it's unlabeled, but it's a red pin, R14. Will mine work?

VCC is +5V power supply that is repeated on the chip couple of times to improve current delivery. So there is a chance it would work without one.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 14 of 23, by Nitroraptor53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mpe wrote on 2020-02-27, 20:33:

Great was tempted to clip the pin on my CPU just for the sake of science.

Nitroraptor53 wrote on 2020-02-27, 19:50:

Similar. My DX2-50 is missing a VCC pin (whatever that means) it's unlabeled, but it's a red pin, R14. Will mine work?

VCC is +5V power supply that is repeated on the chip couple of times to improve current delivery. So there is a chance it would work without one.

Got it.

Reply 15 of 23, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a 5x86 that is missing the same D20 pin and a 486 that has no W/R# pin. I don't expect them to work this way, but I'm thinking of using them for an experiment. Do you think it would be possible to remove the die cap (seems to be soldered) and maybe attach a very thin wire to the leadframe (after identifying the correct pad)?

Attachments

• CPUbroken.jpg
    Filename
    CPUbroken.jpg
    File size
    629.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 17 of 23, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
quicknick wrote on 2020-02-27, 22:33:

Got a 5x86 that is missing the same D20 pin and a 486 that has no W/R# pin. I don't expect them to work this way, but I'm thinking of using them for an experiment. Do you think it would be possible to remove the die cap (seems to be soldered) and maybe attach a very thin wire to the leadframe (after identifying the correct pad)?

There isn't a leadframe, the chip is mounted like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:80486dx2-large.jpg
Is it possible to attach/solder something to these pads? I guess so, but you'd better have hands more steady than a surgeon and a better eyesight as well 😀 Also, once "decapped", any dust particles would rather quickly kill the chip.

Reply 19 of 23, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How does this type of damage occur? Is it from trying to pry them out of non-ZIF sockets?

Most likely dropped from high place and landed on a corner.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.