VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have temporarily suspended the tests on socket4 and am spending a little time on an IBM socket7. The computer has HX chipset, supports CPU from 75 up to 200Mhz, curiously has the 168Pin EDO simm ram that I had never tried, an integrated S3 and even two integrated USB ports, very nice for the time.

It seems to me a nice computer to be a pentium1, what do you say?

I will add an SbPro2 or Sb16 but I was thinking of putting the SCSI chain into play: Controller, CD-ROM and Hard disk. Is it worth it? Or will I just have more difficulty with the drivers without having a benefit that surpasses the hassle of not having all IDE integrated in the motherboard and directly seen by the operating system and any boot floppies?

Reply 2 of 4, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I usually prefer SCSI on earlier systems with buggy CMD chipsets or no IDE at all (and no formal standard for having PCI IDE card in the slot which was a real problem in this era). That means many Socket3/PCI, Socket 4 and 5 systems

However, on the HX motherboard you likely have a decent bus-master (pre ultra-DMA) IDE implementation. Thus, I'd be less tempted. I'd just use the onboard IDE unless you have more than single HDD + CD-ROM.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 3 of 4, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SCSI can get expensive so for a Pentium 1 I would just use IDE. On some 386 and 486 systems I have used SCSI but that was years ago when used SCSI drives were dirt cheap and easy to source. I could kick myself for not stocking up on Plextor SCSI CDROM drives when they were being dumped.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software