VOGONS

First post, by ole smoky2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dell Optiplex GX150
Intel 815e socket 370 p3 1000 fsb 133
512 mb ram

I know it's just an old Dell but this board is making me crazy. I bought the computer at a thrift store cheap and it worked great but the small form factor case was crap. So I relocated the board to an old desktop case and it worked just fine for a good while.
However, recently it began freezing up while playing games such as half life, unreal, rtcw and others. Sometimes it will freeze after 20 or 30 minutes and other times it will stop on the game launch.
Now it is even freezing while working on the desktop.

I have tried several different video cards---3 different power supplies---quite a few different sticks of ram---several different sound cards and even no sound--reinstalled win 98se a couple of times---even a couple different cpus.

The board looks in great shape but I know it could be bad caps or such.
Would anyone have any suggestions on what else to try or look at? I'm losing patience with this thing

Reply 1 of 6, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Everything is fixable, but in this case it is difficult to know since you tried all of the "easy" fixes. If it was a more valuable motherboard id suggest, re cap but it's just a shitty dell you got from goodwill, that you should be thankful that it worked as well as it did for as long as it did.

Since you already changed the case, and you have all the parts, just get a better motherboard off ebay that will work with your hardware that has an ISA slot.

Reply 2 of 6, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Make sure the CPU isnt overheating. Are you still using the stock passive Dell Heatsink? If so maybe adding a 40mm molex fan will help. Otherwise agreed with Warlord. Caps or a new board, but a new board of this era even with new caps might still have issues.. 20 year old caps are kinda a crap shoot.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 6, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh...that was my first retro computer (as in since I started collecting in 2010 or so). I actually really liked the SFF case, it has room for 2 full-height PCI cards through a riser, AGP and one half height PCI slot. Looks kindof cool. I currently have win2k on it with a Hercules Game Theatre XP for some Sensaura action. I still have it running today and it has been really solid, so I don't have any advice on that issue. Not sure what will happen when the SFF psu dies...it's very customized.

Reply 4 of 6, by ole smoky2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everybody, but the old board now refuses to boot at all. I've got other boards to play with and this one is not worth the time or money so into the recycle in it goes.

Reply 6 of 6, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm having similar issues too. Now that I think about it and the fact that you've had basically the same issues that I have, I wonder if there's something about Windows 9x that the Dell Optiplex GX150 computers don't like. 🤔