VOGONS

First post, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there,

I have a 286 Philips P2120 computer... Very nice system... Inside is almost brand new... inside theres a 286 12mhz cpu, 64kb "ambar" graphic card, witch i add a Wd900c00 vga. Has onboard ide controller witch is nice... very slim and sexy looking case..

love it, but... I want to add a sound carde.. now, the problem is...

1) have tried a als120, and when trying to install the drivers it gives me opcode errors!!
2) tried to install a opti931, and in DOS i think is partially working, but in win3.1 says no drivers, because the software needs at least a 386 computer.
- I think, PNP cards don't work in a 286 computer...

So, i search the web and found there,s a altered drivers for a SB16 vibra, so mi next step is to try this sound card.. but,in clonclusion..

what i want to ask is, what's the best approach for installing a sound card in a 286 computer ? assuming i dont have a non pnp card, or a "old" sound card...
Is possibel to make it work both on win 3.1 and DOS ?

thank you

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 1 of 2, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As for the OPTi931, you can simply install the SB 2.0 driver that comes with Windows 3.1. It will work just fine.

And PNP cards can be used in a 286 as well. You are already using them, since both the ALS120 and the OPTi931 are PNP. Their drivers come with a small PNP configuration manager, so you won't even notice they are PNP cards. ESS and Creative cards work the same way.

Reply 2 of 2, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I had used many ess, als and opti on other systems.. no problem with that. But.. in the 286, the software doesnt work in win3.1 neither the drivers..
some don't even execute the pograam complaining abaut opcode errors, other complain thats no 386 enhanced mod so no sound or drivers avaiable.

In DOS, as descrived in other post in this forum, the loading of some sound inicializers makes the system hang at startup.

i'm having a hard time setting up sound in this system

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000