VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is GF2 is a bus AGP?

FYI: Many PCI video cards especially TNT2, GF2 and later and some other will not initialize on some boards, newer the better. TX and PII/PIII, socket 370 chipset is best for these and no longer CPU limited too.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 21 of 24, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

gaffa2002, have you seen the manual?
https://mbmanuals.retropc.se/manuals/424/V72ma-eng.pdf
Try to find JP4 in order to disable IRQ for onboard graphics. I didn't find it on the jumper location picture though. Nvidia graphics demands IRQ, so JP1 should enable IRQ.
Try BIOS settings:
Primary Display Adapter - auto
Reset Resource Assignments - yes
Configuration Table - enable
P.S.
Maybe PCI IRQ sharing set to disabled

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 22 of 24, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

see if there are any gateway g7-500 or so PCs nearby. Slot1 P3, AGP, PCI and ISA .
I got one for Nascar Racing, as its very graphics intensive but requires ISA sound.
It is dos friendly,and since its slot1, anything from early p3 up to about 600mhz down to p2 233mhz plugs in.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 23 of 24, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Roman555 wrote on 2020-04-12, 13:57:
gaffa2002, have you seen the manual? https://mbmanuals.retropc.se/manuals/424/V72ma-eng.pdf Try to find JP4 in order to disable […]
Show full quote

gaffa2002, have you seen the manual?
https://mbmanuals.retropc.se/manuals/424/V72ma-eng.pdf
Try to find JP4 in order to disable IRQ for onboard graphics. I didn't find it on the jumper location picture though. Nvidia graphics demands IRQ, so JP1 should enable IRQ.
Try BIOS settings:
Primary Display Adapter - auto
Reset Resource Assignments - yes
Configuration Table - enable
P.S.
Maybe PCI IRQ sharing set to disabled

First of all, thanks for taking your time and the suggestion.
Yeah, I checked the manual and could not find JP4, just checked the mobo and no JP4 on it 🙁, also enabled the VGA IRQ in JP1 but result is the same.
Also, my bios is slightly different than the manual and there is no Configuration table option under boot options.
Maybe I’ll try updating the mobo bios (although I believe the version I have is the latest and I have no idea where to find another one).
Tested both cards on another PC and both are working, issue is on the motherboard, no doubt about that...

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 24 of 24, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried searching for an updated, or at least a different bios version for my V72MA board and I found it, but the file description was a little disheartening... it was something like "If you are trying to update the bios to make nvidia PCI cards work, then don't waste time downloading it, the PCI standard used is different and those cards should not work on that board", so I gave up the bios update.

Looking at my S3 card (which works) and both Nvidia cards (which doesn't), I noticed that the S3 card uses the older 5v PCI connector format (the one having one notch on the right side) while the newer ones use the universal one that are supposed to support both 5v and 3.3v (with two notches).
Also verified that the Voodoo2 PCI I used to have also had the 5v connector, so I guess that may be the reason.

It seems that if I want to upgrade the video card, I need to find one with a 5v PCI connector, which makes looking for one even harder 😁, I remember plugging a GF2 MX440 PCI on that board which worked some years ago (it had unrelated output problems showing B/W picture so I returned it and ended up buying the Voodoo 2), maybe that was a 5v one as well.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD