VOGONS

First post, by Jimbondaxor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, hello to all and sorry that my first topic on here is a pathetic cry for help but there you go.

I need help with a socket 370 mb and a psu

This is the board in question.
https://microdream.co.uk/compaq-deskpro-en-so … ml#.Xl60dKgzZjE
Anyone have any experience with this particular Compaq board? I know it's an OEM.

I recently purchased it and I also have a Pentium III 866Mhz and 256mb sd ram.

It wont't post. I tried my good (modern) PSU, I've also tried some no name PSU with supposedly higher 3v and 5v amperage. (30 on both) but no luck. A few green lights light up on the MB but the cpu fan doesn't spin and there's no vga signal.

The seller swears the board works (of course). He claims it works with one of his old 20pin PSUs.

What do you guys think? Is the board toast or do I need some kind of special old PSU, or maybe some custom OEM PSU? I've been dealing with this nonsense the past few weeks and it's not fun.

Reply 1 of 6, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's an i815 your 866 should work. Have you tried:

- resetting cmos
- another stick of PC-133 SDRam
- with an AGP or PCI VGA
- check individual components on another M/B.

I am not sure the PSU is really the culprit here. Have you tried the PSU on another mainboard?

Reply 2 of 6, by Jimbondaxor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
flupke11 wrote on 2020-03-03, 21:10:
If it's an i815 your 866 should work. Have you tried: […]
Show full quote

If it's an i815 your 866 should work. Have you tried:

- resetting cmos
- another stick of PC-133 SDRam
- with an AGP or PCI VGA
- check individual components on another M/B.

I am not sure the PSU is really the culprit here. Have you tried the PSU on another mainboard?

- I did reset cmos
- yes, the PSU works...the CPU and RAM also work, I've tried them on another board

It's either the PSU or the board and I'm starting to think it's the board, although the seller claims it works only with old PSUs, how old I'm not sure.

Reply 3 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only PSU-related thing left (if your PSUs are known-good) is negative voltages. Do your PSUs supply -5V and -12V? If not that could conceivably be what the seller is referring to. Not at all sure that's the case. I have the uATX version of this board and has never refused any PSU I threw at it - although I do actually generally use ATX 1.x PSUs with those lines, so can't be sure.

Reply 4 of 6, by Jimbondaxor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-03-03, 22:10:

The only PSU-related thing left (if your PSUs are known-good) is negative voltages. Do your PSUs supply -5V and -12V? If not that could conceivably be what the seller is referring to. Not at all sure that's the case. I have the uATX version of this board and has never refused any PSU I threw at it - although I do actually generally use ATX 1.x PSUs with those lines, so can't be sure.

Hmm, I'm not seeing -5V anywhere written on the side of the PSU. Can you link an example of a PSU that supplies negative voltages? What kind of PSU are you using with your 370 board?

Reply 5 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a few retail ATX PSU from the late 90's to early 2000's and all during that time had -5v and -12v. There are still some made like this one at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Coolmax-I-500-500W-Pow … /dp/B0081H7EDK/
But many new ones do not have the -5v and or -12v
A picture of one of my older 20pin ATX PSU for testing motherboards

Attachments

• IMG_0868s.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0868s.jpg
    File size
    306.85 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 6, by ole smoky2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't help with your problem but in defense of the seller, who is not me, a year or so ago I sold an old Matsonic slot 1 board with a p2 400 and ram on ebay. I had used the board for a while and it worked perfectly. Had it playing games the night before I shipped it. But sure enough the buyer could not get it to boot at all. I tried to help, even sent him to this forum. Ended up refunding his money and let him keep it. So I can tell you this stuff does happen.