VOGONS

First post, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Socket 939 box (a Compaq Presario) that I want to upgrade the CPU in, but I noticed that dual core Athlon 64 chips for that socket are surprisingly expensive for what you're getting, and that single-core Athlon 64s at the same clock speed with the same amount of cache cost a fair bit less. This system runs XP Home Edition and that's all it's likely to ever run, is it really worth it for me to pay extra for a second core in an OEM system that's fundamentally limited?

Reply 1 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Athlon 64 X2 chips are not that expensive.

XP really is a whole lot better with 2 cores than 1.

Even if the program you are running is only single threaded, the system can use the second core to process background stuff instead of having to do a ton of task switching.

On eBay, there is a 4200+ for $18.95 shipped, another for a tiny bit more shipped, and a 4400+ for $30 shipped.
4800 is stupid expensive for some reason. Didn't see any 4600 at the moment.

You can also keep an eye out for the S939 Opterons (165, 170, 175, 180, 185) but those seems to have a higher asking price. I still have my 175 from back in the day... not a good overlcocker even after delidding it which lowered the load temps by 20C.

Edit:
Here is a place that has both of the different 939 4600+ CPUs for $31 a piece.
https://starmicroinc.net/amd-athlon-64- ... 00daa5cd/
https://starmicroinc.net/amd-athlon-64-x2-460 … -ada4600daa5bv/

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-11, 07:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 3, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-03-04, 07:11:
... […]
Show full quote

XP really is a whole lot better with 2 cores than 1.

Even if the program you are running is only single threaded, the system can use the second core to process background stuff instead of having to do a ton of task switching.

Agree. Even hyperthreading did wonders, remembering upgrading an Athlon XP to an early HT P4 back in the day. The jump in single core performance wasn't all that impressive, but everything just felt a lot snappier.

There's a clear benefit in having dual cores in my opinion too.

Reply 3 of 3, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Huh, when I was looking at 939 X2s I was struggling to find anything under 30 dollars, maybe I was looking in the wrong places. Well, if the second core really does make things faster then I'll definitely have to go with a X2.