VOGONS

First post, by claesbas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a retro machine that I have been playing with some. When I run CHKCACHE (have philscomputerlabs DOSBENCH stuff) it runs very very slow. I am not sure if its the RAM memory testing or what it might be - but it feels "wrong". What could be wrong? How do I know what settings to setup my RAM and cache correct

My settings and results are:

image2.jpg
Filename
image2.jpg
File size
263.77 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
image1.jpg
Filename
image1.jpg
File size
301.99 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
image3.jpg
Filename
image3.jpg
File size
392.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
image4.jpg
Filename
image4.jpg
File size
371.07 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I have 2 of these 32mb RAM slots that my motherboard only picks up at 16mb (seems to be limited to one side or something). Could that be a problem?

Reply 1 of 7, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

chkcache always takes a lot of time, if you have a alot of memory... And 32MB is quite a measurable amount.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2 of 7, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The results are fine though. What I'd roughly expect from untuned average DX4-100. Your WB is disabled, but cachechk doesn't test hat.

You can use "-q" or "-qq" arguments to let it run faster with some impact on accuracy.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 3 of 7, by claesbas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok then (Im happy you say the numbers are fine), I thought it was quick when I watched an LGR episode on Youtube. Probably it was just a cut/edit there 😀

Thanks - seems my computer reports White through cache in CHKCPU even though I change Internal Write Cache to enabled.

Reply 5 of 7, by claesbas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mpe wrote on 2020-03-05, 10:59:

In order to get WB working you primarily need to move a few jumpers on the motheboard.

In the chart inside the case (Unisys ELI 4663) there is some info about jumpers but nothing about Write-back. Not sure the mobo supports write-baack?

mb.jpg
Filename
mb.jpg
File size
215.42 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 7 of 7, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
claesbas wrote on 2020-03-05, 16:46:

In the chart inside the case (Unisys ELI 4663) there is some info about jumpers but nothing about Write-back. Not sure the mobo supports write-baack?

There isn't anything indicating wb support on that schematics.

There are three of four extra CPU pins that need to be wired to chipset in order to support the WB and vast majority of motherboards with support have several jumpers for that.

If it is the same system as in this thread, then you'll probably find more information printed on the motherboard.

Look for settings for P24D and keep voltage at 3.3V as it is usually the closest unless there is a direct setting for DX4-WB or Am486DX4 Enhanced CPU.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4