VOGONS

First post, by Mr_savag3_bass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all--
I've been playing with an old IBM PC340 a buddy salvaged me out of a hotel he worked for.
Works all right, but as usual I'm not satisfied with leaving it stock.

Right now it has:
A Pentium 133mhz (non-MMX, P54CS)
128MB of RAM (maxed I believe, more than enough for the DOS/95 I run on it)
A CF-IDE adapter
A 2(?)MB Stealth 64 Video VRAM PCI
Some random ISA Sound Blaster Vibra that will be replaced with something better once I have it.
A Gotek Emulator for the floppy drive
The original IDE CD-ROM drive.

My first question is regarding the cache:
This is a model with no cache sockets, but I'd love to solder some in and get the chips.

According to the product catalog on Lenovo's site linked in another PC340 thread, I can upgrade to 256 KB with eight 28 pin 3.3 v SRAM DIP modules and one 5 v TAG RAM DIP
Does anyone have a source to point me to to find chips compatible with this? I believe these are standardized parts that are not IBM specific but I can't seem to find any. I know the sockets themselves should be standard affairs.

Second, I had bought a non-Overdrive Pentium 166mhz MMX to put in, which is a P55CS. The product guide lists that an Overdrive is required. I am finding conflicting information on whether the board will work with a 166MMX non-Overdrive (given that some Socket 7 boards work without the adapter), and whether or not I would need a voltage adapter (which I cannot find on any site so far for sale). Getting a Socket 7 Overdrive would be a bit out of the question given their obscurity and cost.

Does anyone have any info they would be willing to share on these questions? I can post some pictures later when I get home.

Sav

Reply 1 of 1, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The MMX should work fine from what iv read on here, you may need to ensure the voltage regulator doesnt get to hot and that the heatsink has a fan. Plop it in, set the multiplier and see if it will boot. No idea on the cache, sorry. A Voodoo 1 to go with your 2mb card would be a good combo with the 166mhz mmx, get a good machinr for super early 3d stuff and good DOS compatibility if that Diamond Stealth 64 is a S3 Trio64 like I suspect it is.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1