VOGONS

First post, by Chupperson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to get XTIDE running on my 486 and having no luck getting the ROM to work.
I just assembled a Lo-tech ISA ROM board (the board with just the EEPROM on it) because my previous attempts to use a NIC had failed. However, no matter what address I set the card to, it never boots into XTIDE.
I flashed the EEPROM with my ROM burner and verified that it is correct. Following the bill of materials for this card, I am using a 1 megabit SST39SF010A EEPROM. I made sure to use the customized BIN file when flashing the chip.
When I use debug to view the memory location the ROM is supposed to occupy, I can't find it.

I understand that the default memory location is D000. I used the UMBInfo utility to view the contents of my memory but D000 doesn't even show as part of the memory map.

Is there something obvious I have overlooked?

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! 😀 Not sure if this is helpful or not, but I've attached some working copies in an older thread..
Re: IDE disk-on-module + 386

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 5, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Without shadowing for XTIDE ROM you will slow down your IO if its using BIOS Calls 😳

Did you configure the XTIDE ROM for right Controller Type and I/O ?

Does your 486 BIOS Support Option ROMs ? some non Standard Machines don`t.
What Machine is it ?

How did you flash the ROM ?

Can you make Photos of the Lotech Card with DIP Switch Settings ? front and backside ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 5 of 5, by Chupperson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The machine I have is an OPTi 495SLC. It's pretty hard to find any documentation on it. The video card ROM shows up in System Information as a ROM BIOS extension. I'm guessing that might not be considered an option ROM.

I flashed the ROM with a TOP ROM burner. It's pretty reliable. I couldn't flash it in the 486 because the XTIDE flashing program doesn't support the SST39SF010A.
I used the auto configure option in XTIDECFG and its findings look correct.

It looks like shadowing is already disabled. Maybe I need to turn on shadowing for the XTIDE's address instead?

Attachments