VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would it be possible to use this thing in a win98se pc that has a motherboard that only has usb header for usb 1.x?
If it works with the header are some kind of drivers needed for win98se?

cardreader.jpg
Filename
cardreader.jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Eh, you can always add an NEC based USB 2.0 PCI controller board, install a USB2 stack (nusb33 or 36) for Win98SE and it'll work just *fine.

Otherwise, ehh...yeah, you could plug it to the USB 1.2 header and it "should" work, but....ooof, USB1 transfer speeds? Ain't nobody got time for that.

*Fine in Win98SE just means that you'll BSOD slightly more often due to the nature of that driver stack. But then it's freaking Win98SE anyways.

Reply 2 of 2, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ragefury32 wrote on 2020-03-07, 16:26:

Eh, you can always add an NEC based USB 2.0 PCI controller board, install a USB2 stack (nusb33 or 36) for Win98SE and it'll work just *fine.

Otherwise, ehh...yeah, you could plug it to the USB 1.2 header and it "should" work, but....ooof, USB1 transfer speeds? Ain't nobody got time for that.

*Fine in Win98SE just means that you'll BSOD slightly more often due to the nature of that driver stack. But then it's freaking Win98SE anyways.

Main reason for using this would be to be able to use CF card storage in pure dos PC and to copy dos games to a CF card using this. Dos games are not that big that I would be worried about the transfer speeds as long as I get it to work in a pc that has optical drive since I keep copies of my dos games burned on optical disks.