VOGONS

First post, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up a free Dell Optiplex GX280 from work. It's a nice P4 2.8GHz mid-tower with 2GB of RAM in it. At the moment I'm running Windows XP on it. However the computer did not come with any video cards or sound cards and I'm using the built in ones. While I do have a few spare video cards in my box 'o' things, they're mostly mid-90's vintage so I don't know if they're going to work very well and I have zero spare sound cards. I plan to use this for mid-late 90's and early 2000 gaming. Stuff that won't run on a 64-bit OS like Windows 10.

The system has three PCI slots and one PCIe slot. Here are the spare video cards I have at the moment:

Matrox Millennium 576-04 (2MB)
S3 Trio64V+ (generic card)
Matrox MGA-MIL/4/DELL3
Nvidia Quadro FX 8974

I Imagine the Nvidia Quadro is the best one since it has DVI and a heat sink on it, but I'm not sure if it's a good gaming card. I'm thinking I'm probably better off buying something else, but I'm not sure what. I don't really want to spend a ton of money on this box and I don't need a fancy high end card either. Just something that will do for most games. Any suggestions?

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 1 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The nVidia Quadro is actually most likely a Quadro FX 3400 which is like a Geforce 6800 but clocked a bit slower:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/quadro-fx-3400.c1367

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 18, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes that looks like it. I assume this card will work for what I want or will it not work well with older games?

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 3 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Should work good for XP era games. Some older ones that use palleted textures which the FX series was the last to support will have some messed up textures but you will want the faster card for XP era games anyway.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 18, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Fx3400 should be able to handle early Xp games.
If you want to upgrade, get a cheap midrange card from 2010-2014, either Nvidia Or Amd. Make sure the card doesn't require any other power (6-pin).

Reply 5 of 18, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-03-09, 05:47:

If you want to upgrade, get a cheap midrange card from 2010-2014, either Nvidia Or Amd. Make sure the card doesn't require any other power (6-pin).

Any specific models? Doesn't have to be mega powerful or anything, just not too expensive.

Also how decent is the built in video? I think it's Intel 915G Express. Probably not very good I'm assuming.

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 6 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any specific games that require something more powerful than a 6800 to run at an acceptable speed that are not able to get running properly in Windows 10?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 18, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tempest wrote on 2020-03-09, 13:30:

Any specific models? Doesn't have to be mega powerful or anything, just not too expensive.

Also how decent is the built in video? I think it's Intel 915G Express. Probably not very good I'm assuming.

I was thinking a GTX 750 (Ti or not)

Reply 8 of 18, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok here's some weirdness. I put that Quadro card into my GX280 and when it turned on the fan on the system went FULL and wouldn't stop. The system also never seemed to boot. There's obviously something about that card my system didn't like, but I have no idea what . Could it be a Mac card something weird like that? I don't know the providence of the card, it was just in my box 'o' junk.

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 9 of 18, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quadro FX 3400 has power plug, make sure this power connector connected. GX280 does not have the 6 pin PCIe power connector, You can get by using a 4 pin molex to 6 pin connector adapter, The FX 3400 is not that hungry when running windows. Second, GX280 uses standard ATX PSU pinout. I knew this as I did test my 780 with seasonic 650w and any ATX boards using a slim line PSU taken from Dell GX260 long ago.

And inspect real carefully at tiny components near PCIe fingers.

Cheers

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 10 of 18, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah ok I see now. What about the 6800? Does that also have a power plug? I'm trying to remember what I had back in my P4 back in the day. I don't recall my cards back then having extra power plugs. I had an XPS Gen 2 IIRC.

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 11 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If playing 2d games like RTS's the onboard will be fine but yeh 3d gaming will suck
If you cant get the Quadro to work I'd try the Matrox MGA-MIL/4/DELL3 with your most demanding game. It looks to be a Millennium but with 4MB

IF that doesn't work what OS you thinking about Win9x or XP?

Some of the 6800 cards had external power some didn't pretty much depended on the manufacture as much as anything

Reply 12 of 18, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-03-10, 12:39:
If playing 2d games like RTS's the onboard will be fine but yeh 3d gaming will suck If you cant get the Quadro to work I'd try t […]
Show full quote

If playing 2d games like RTS's the onboard will be fine but yeh 3d gaming will suck
If you cant get the Quadro to work I'd try the Matrox MGA-MIL/4/DELL3 with your most demanding game. It looks to be a Millennium but with 4MB

IF that doesn't work what OS you thinking about Win9x or XP?

Some of the 6800 cards had external power some didn't pretty much depended on the manufacture as much as anything

I'm using XP.

I'll take another look at the Quadro. I swear it didn't have a power plug (not a PCIe 6 pin one anyway), but it's possible I missed it?

The Quadro is basically a 6800 that's missing some features right? Is it better than the Millennium 4MB?

Last edited by Tempest on 2020-03-10, 14:34. Edited 2 times in total.

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 13 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quadro is better optimized for cad then gaming mostly via drivers but if its overpowered enough vs the games your running it probably wont matter anyway.
But yes its definitely better then the Millennium, that may have been ok if you were going with 9x pre DX9 games but wouldn't bother on a XP gaming rig

Reply 14 of 18, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-03-10, 14:33:

Quadro is better optimized for cad then gaming mostly via drivers but if its overpowered enough vs the games your running it probably wont matter anyway.
But yes its definitely better then the Millennium, that may have been ok if you were going with 9x pre DX9 games but wouldn't bother on a XP gaming rig

Ok. Looking back on my old XPS gaming rig, I think it had an Nvidia 6800 in it. Will this work with a GX280?

I'm honestly probably looking to run games from the late 90's and early/mid 2000's. Anything later than that and I'll run them on my Win 10 machine.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-11, 07:51. Edited 1 time in total.

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 15 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That should work. Uses a Molex plug for the additional power. Are you sure the Quadro doesn't have a plug on it. Most of the pictures I am seeing use a 6-pin PCIe connector.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 18, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-03-10, 15:23:

That should work. Uses a Molex plug for the additional power. Are you sure the Quadro doesn't have a plug on it. Most of the pictures I am seeing use a 6-pin PCIe connector.

Maybe I missed it. I'll take another look tonight.

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 17 of 18, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found an ATI FireGL V055 (DELL 109-A67131-01 ). I think it's a weird Dell version of the V3400 128MB. How does that compare to the Quadro or 6800?

--- AtariProtos.com ---

Reply 18 of 18, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The FireGL seems to be working in my system just fine and doesn't require extra power like the Quadro. I think I'll use it and see how it goes.

--- AtariProtos.com ---