VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I received one of these cards in a group of cards I got from someone cleaning out their house. Came with original floppies to.

Is this a decent SCSI / Sound Card? Its Adaptec, which is a good name, but I dont know too much else about the card in terms of how good it is / etc...

Thank you

Reply 1 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keropi found one a few years back:
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

As luckybob says:

OOO! Scsi and sound on the same card? with an option for FDD also? Color me intrigued, I had no idea such a Frankenstein's monst […]
Show full quote

OOO! Scsi and sound on the same card? with an option for FDD also? Color me intrigued, I had no idea such a Frankenstein's monster even existed. it looks like an unholy cross between an Adaptec AHA_1542C and AD1848!

I knew sound blaster has a scsi/sound love child, but this one looks BOOTABLE, and has (potentially) FDD support.

[...]

The manual is still available online, it is an Adaptec AMM-1570. the 1572 has the FDD option.

If possible, I'd dump both roms and host on vogons drivers. Mostly the large sound-rom on the far left. For those that don't know, if you are dealing with ISA and SCSI in the same machine, the 1542C is THE card to get for such a combination.

So it could be considered rather "good", but question is what you consider "good" - this is a very early SE-SCSI device, max 5 or 10MB/s (don't know if it supports Fast SCSI...). So slow, and SCSI is something of an acquired taste. But if you know and want SCSI (as luckybob indicates), a bootable card with FDD integrated is very attractive for an early 1990s system. As for the sound, not totally sure. Expect SBPro2 and WSS compatibility, no real OPL3 though. If that left-hand ROM is present you probably also have wavetable, but if it's anything like my AD 'Echo' card it's good for novelty value only.

In any event it looks like keropi didn't dump drivers and ROM. For SCSI you can just use generic Adaptec drivers (take the ones for the AHA-1542), for sound you'd need to know what the main chip is, the one with a big sticker on it immediately under the SCSI chip in keropi's pic. Of course he's still a regular here, so he might be able to update you on this.

Reply 3 of 5, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I built a 386DX40 which used the same card keropi found - AMM1570 which is basically the 1572 without a floppy controller. It's a decent enough card, sound was fine in a Wing Commander playthrough and Wolf3D. I have a build thread but all the image links are dead now ("Archmont" desktop 386DX-40 build if you're interested in the text). Seems I did test the wavetable in DOS, and it was rubbish, but the FM sound was fine.

On the SCSI side, it allows drives of up to 2GB which is really handy for an older system - no storage space anxiety for old games. Finding a suitable 50-pin drive shouldn't be too hard, though sellers might be looking for a premium on them now. For the intended era of machines, this card's performance is more than adequate.

Reply 5 of 5, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But seriously, you got any pics? any plans? I'm interested in getting a 1572 for a certain project computer that only has 2 ISA slots. This would be very helpful.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.