VOGONS

First post, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Backpack parallel cd device out of the case,i have no idea what model number.
It is missing the 20 pin memory buffer chip.
The only dos driver I can get to work on an xt is v4,but the keyboard freezes right after the driver loads.
None of the commands after the .sys line make any difference.
One page said the v4 is only for a 286 or better.
Is there any v3 of the drivers?
I tried 1.06,2.03,2.12 all those say no device detected.
They say it should work on an xt,but not knowing the model makes it difficult.
does the missing memory make a difference? anybody know what it should be?

Reply 2 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xtgold wrote on 2020-03-08, 13:56:

One page said the v4 is only for a 286 or better.
Is there any v3 of the drivers?
I tried 1.06,2.03,2.12 all those say no device detected.

I looked thru the "wayback machine" and from 5/1999 at version 2.1 and in 10/1999 they list v4.0. No v3.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 7, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

v1.06 on a celeron 550 for testing purposes gives me the divide overflow error when it loads.
I know there was a turbo pascal patch for .exe files but never heard of one for .sys driver files.
On the xt it just doesn't detect the backpack.
I believe the device was the 8x cd,I bought it for the guts and tossed the case and drive.
165550 which 2.06 should work but doesn't.
there was a v3 but for windows only.

Reply 4 of 7, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For those playing along at home, the V4 of the drivers comes bundled with a dos program called testport that will check the parallel port to see if it is epp/ecp/uni
The program works all the way back to dos 3.30

Reply 6 of 7, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of the programs I lost was called jacket.exe
It would print out the sleeves for a 5 1/4 inch floppy with the directory of what you were putting on,with cut along the dotted lines and fold/paste to make a sleeve for the floppy.Would come in handy for dvd's cd's in this era.It expected a parallel printer and had no option to save to file.So for modern use that would have to be fixed.
I did find that one with an ftp search and actually the basic program version.The basic would just work with the A or B drive tho taking a quick look at it.

Reply 7 of 7, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The program may be actually looking for an AT keyboard.
A keyboard related program from the old days mentioned if the keyboard didn't have port 64h the xt would lock up.
Which is what it is doing.I may have to put an xt/at switch in,boot XT load the driver AT then switch back,maybe.