VOGONS

First post, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi to all,

I have here two mainboards I can't identify, a socket 7 and a socket 370. I looked for the socket 7 on stason.org, but with no luck.
These are cropped seller pictures, I don't have better ones... If someone could recognize these boards, specially the socket 7 one, I would be more than happy 😀

socket7.jpg
Filename
socket7.jpg
File size
31.63 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
socket370.jpg
Filename
socket370.jpg
File size
46.1 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Thanks a lot!

Reply 1 of 10, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bearking wrote on 2020-03-08, 21:12:
Hi to all, […]
Show full quote

Hi to all,

I have here two mainboards I can't identify, a socket 7 and a socket 370. I looked for the socket 7 on stason.org, but with no luck.
These are cropped seller pictures, I don't have better ones... If someone could recognize these boards, specially the socket 7 one, I would be more than happy 😀

socket7.jpg
socket370.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Ask the seller for useful pictures, especially the socket7 picture is too small.
We don't want to get eye cancer.

Reply 2 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-03-08, 21:42:
bearking wrote on 2020-03-08, 21:12:
Hi to all, […]
Show full quote

Hi to all,

socket7.jpg
socket370.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Ask the seller for useful pictures, especially the socket7 picture is too small.
We don't want to get eye cancer.

Agree 🤣. Yes way to small to accurately figure them out.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 10, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-03-08, 23:31:

And the socket 7 is 60-TX3D1.20X-B0

EDIT: maybe the Zida TX98-3D

TX3D0101.pdf

Hey, thank you very much! I really appreciate your help! Thanks again!

Reply 7 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, the GA-6WMM7. Brings back memories - not very good ones, I'm afraid... it was the mainstay of Packard Bell's low to mid-range portfolio in 2000. Most of the bad was related to the i810 integrated chipset and its poor performance. There was also a bewildering array of variants of the board:
- (very nice) hardware audio or just an AC'97 codec. This one doesn't have the hardware chip.
- 4MB onboard AGP framebuffer (to somewhat improve the i810's video performance). This one doesn't have it.
- Coppermine support or not (Mendocino only). Can't judge from the pic. PC99 colour coding of ports make me suspect CuMine support, but no guarantee.
I really couldn't recommend this board for very much - no native DOS support (AC'97 audio...), bad performance compared to about anything else due to i810 GCMH eating 50% of memory bandwidth, and max 100MHz memory bus regardless of CPU (particularly problematic with 133MHz FSB).

As for the Zida, it's tiny as usual for Zida designs. I'm not a huge fan of Via VPX, it's very comparable to i430VX (including same memory density limitations for SDRAM!) but slower memory performance and faster IDE performance. An i430TX (or for that matter Via VP2) would beat it - but for a very small, not too performance-criticaly system with split voltage, it could be nice enough.

Reply 8 of 10, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-03-09, 09:38:
Ah, the GA-6WMM7. Brings back memories - not very good ones, I'm afraid... it was the mainstay of Packard Bell's low to mid-rang […]
Show full quote

Ah, the GA-6WMM7. Brings back memories - not very good ones, I'm afraid... it was the mainstay of Packard Bell's low to mid-range portfolio in 2000. Most of the bad was related to the i810 integrated chipset and its poor performance. There was also a bewildering array of variants of the board:
- (very nice) hardware audio or just an AC'97 codec. This one doesn't have the hardware chip.
- 4MB onboard AGP framebuffer (to somewhat improve the i810's video performance). This one doesn't have it.
- Coppermine support or not (Mendocino only). Can't judge from the pic. PC99 colour coding of ports make me suspect CuMine support, but no guarantee.
I really couldn't recommend this board for very much - no native DOS support (AC'97 audio...), bad performance compared to about anything else due to i810 GCMH eating 50% of memory bandwidth, and max 100MHz memory bus regardless of CPU (particularly problematic with 133MHz FSB).

As for the Zida, it's tiny as usual for Zida designs. I'm not a huge fan of Via VPX, it's very comparable to i430VX (including same memory density limitations for SDRAM!) but slower memory performance and faster IDE performance. An i430TX (or for that matter Via VP2) would beat it - but for a very small, not too performance-criticaly system with split voltage, it could be nice enough.

Thanks for the comprehensive info, I decided to keep only the Zida board.

Reply 9 of 10, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is definitely a Zida TX98-3D. I own one. Arguably not the best S7 board out there, but it does the job (I always prefer boards with Award bios over Amibios).
It comes with onboard Crystal sound chip, which has a decent SB16 emulation (but you need a special cable header to use it).
It works with every Pentium chip you throw at it, but it gets picky when it comes to K6 stuff.

Hi-res photo of my board

FU6QMBGITKLM9B2.LARGE.jpg?auto=webp&width=1024&height=1024&fit=bounds

Reply 10 of 10, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-03-10, 16:26:
That is definitely a Zida TX98-3D. I own one. Arguably not the best S7 board out there, but it does the job (I always prefer boa […]
Show full quote

That is definitely a Zida TX98-3D. I own one. Arguably not the best S7 board out there, but it does the job (I always prefer boards with Award bios over Amibios).
It comes with onboard Crystal sound chip, which has a decent SB16 emulation (but you need a special cable header to use it).
It works with every Pentium chip you throw at it, but it gets picky when it comes to K6 stuff.

Hi-res photo of my board

FU6QMBGITKLM9B2.LARGE.jpg?auto=webp&width=1024&height=1024&fit=bounds

Hey, thanks for the info! 😉