VOGONS

First post, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first question would by why not use ps2 mouse? Well the case I have is totally blocked off at the ps2 port for this motherboard 🙁

So I am trying to use the onboard serial com ports but the mouse is not working.

Tried com1 + com2

This is a Dos only system.

I am using the same mouse driver that this mouse works for a 386 on a com port. So the driver is not the issue

The cable is plugged pin1 to pin1 on the header so the connection is ok, tried 2 cables.

Verified the addresses in the bios and the driver are the same.

Feipowa you know this board inside and out I hope there is some easy trick that I don't know to get it going.

Otherwise I guess using a multimeter to check pins for voltage on the ports is next, but for both com ports to fail is not very likely.

I am running the system at 40fsb and slightly tight ram timings if it makes any difference

IMG-20200309-142853.jpg

IMG-20200309-142951.jpg

IMG-20200309-143255.jpg

anybody got any ideas? its one of my main systems so taking out the motherboard is not a option for me, its packed pretty tight and looking for solutions with open case

Reply 1 of 6, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found a comport test utility that comes with cutemouse. It would not detect any of the comport settings I set in the bios. So in the end I founded a isa io card with serial ports and now got the mouse working.

perhaps the mouse chipset is faulty on my board

Reply 2 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Make sure the serial cables are the right types. There was two types of serial port headers and no way of finding out which is which visually. It's possible both cables you tried as the wrong type and that your mobo uses the other type.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Correct. Two types, what determines this is at 9 pin connector. Unscrew from bracket and pull back the black hood away from 9 pin connector and will give you answer. If you find one that is different use that instead.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the same. Also, you can check your serial/parallel ports easily by using, say, CheckIt! v3 and CheckIt! v4.
With and without a loop adapter. Without anything connected, it will write to/read from the chips internally and display the results on screen.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still no. There are 2 types of wirings for internal serial port cables that terminates in flat ribbon of female 10 pins. One is sequence wired, and other one staggered.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 6 of 6, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

good to know, if I wasn't lucky to have found a isa io card I would probably need to hack my cable up (I only have 2)

I used comtest.com from cutemouse package and for both the onboard com ports it showed no signal, however for my io card it showed as 16555a fifo or something similar. But I am not sure if it detects the com ports on the io card because it has its own cable already plugged in with correct pins and my motherboard does not.

Learned something new today about the com port plugs not being stardard

thanx all