VOGONS

First post, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a once fully working Packard Bell Legend 401CD (desktop form factor, Socket 5 Pentium CPU at 75MHz, originally 8MB of RAM but I upgraded it to 32MB). I was able to successfully install Windows 95 on it using a restore CD and everything about the computer seemed fine...fast forward to a month later and now it won't POST at all. I had tried to add a video and sound card and put in a new CMOS battery but even with the cards removed it still does not POST.

Here's what I've done so far:

*Used the DIP switch block to clear the CMOS
*Removed and reseated the RAM
*Cleaned the PCI and ISA slots
*When that failed, removed the video and sound cards entirely
*Removed and reseated the CPU
*Tried the video output with a different known-good monitor just in case

So far, none of these things have had any effect. The hard drive never comes on and video never gets output to any monitor, whether it's the 14" Packard Bell CRT that came with the computer or a LCD monitor I also tried. At this point I'm completely at a loss as to what's wrong here, as it sits currently the only piece of hardware changed since the machine last worked is the CMOS battery.

Reply 1 of 4, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get matched pair of new memory modules and try again. Pentium boards uses EDO, 60ns.

Just had a problem and had to toss out bad memory after confirming that I can finally boot properly.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 4, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Remove everything except the CPU (yes, everything - incl. RAM and video). It must output beep codes in that case. If not, replace the CPU. If it still does not give any signs of life, mainboard or PSU are fried.

Reply 3 of 4, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-03-10, 02:58:

Get matched pair of new memory modules and try again. Pentium boards uses EDO, 60ns.

Just had a problem and had to toss out bad memory after confirming that I can finally boot properly.

Cheers,

This is the same RAM I used to install Windows 95 and such so it absolutely worked then, though whether it's the correct RAM or not remains to be determined.

I'll try and dig up some EDO though. I have a Power Mac 7100 I should be able to borrow from.